Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

mods for better mileage

Old August 25th, 2006, 10:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mods for better mileage

What are the best mods for better mpg...i know, i know, i shouldnt have gotten a truck for good mpg, but 13 isnt really cutting it right now, and i want to try to improve.
some things ive been thinkin about are
cai
headers
elec fan
tune (wait4me or something like that)
programmer/chip?
any ohters?

which of these are really worth it?

i already have a tonnea(sp?) cover and a flowmaster

also, would a different rear end give me better mpg? i have a 3.73 right now

thanks
Old August 30th, 2006, 11:03 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: mods for better mileage

Go to the basics. Your engine will get better gas mileage if You don't have to press on the accelerator to maintain speed and if You don't have to press too hard to accelerate. You didn't mention what size engine that You have or what Year and size of Thruck it is.
I'll assume that it's a 350 and a 1/2 or 3/4 ton. You have to create more torque at a like RPM ( the same RPM ). First, choose a camshaft like a Competion Cams 252H. This will allow more air to enter the engine. Then get a decent set of headers and put dual exhaust on it. This will allow the extra air to exit the engine better. The next thing is to improve the intake system ( Intake manifold, Air filter Etc, ). If You drive mostly in town ( lower speeds ), then the 3.73 gear is better ( accelerate without using the gas padal as hard ). If You do Mostle highway driving, the go to a 3.42 or higher ( numerically lower ) gear. This will lower engine speed at a higher RPM. After You,ve taken care of these basics, then go to Mobil 1 lubricants, more air pressure in Your tires ( 45 psi ) and look at aerodynamics. Think of it as if You're pushing a brick through the wind and You need to Smooth out the rough edges. Your tonneau cover will take care of the bed. Make sure Your ais dams are all tight etc. I have a '99 4x4 Suburban and have gotten 22 MPG at 65 mph and no A/C on. I alse have a '93 4x4 k1500 with 33" tires that has gotten 20 mpg, so it can be done.
Old August 31st, 2006, 1:19 AM
CF Junior Member

its a truck, there is not alot you can do with out spending a small fortune. uncle bill has some good ideas but most will cost you. If you have to drive a long way to work just get a econobox for work and keep all your HP for when you need our truck. Dont change gears, you will lose alot of low end. If you go to a taller gear and be unhappy if you try to pull a trailer or haul a heavy load and it will wear out your trans alot faster.
Old October 9th, 2006, 8:11 PM
CF Active Member

Thanx for the Post.