Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Multiple Random Misfires

Old August 7th, 2007, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple Random Misfires

I have a '96 Chevy Silverado 2 wheel drive 5.7 V8 with about 130K on the motor. The engine light is on and says multiple random misfires when checked by autozone. I have changed the plugs and the wires and I got the Borg Warner Wires and not the cheap ones. This did not fix the problem. I have a new fuel filter and I have run multiple bottles of injector cleaner through the system. The truck is also sluggish when you take off after being stopped for a few seconds. You can feel the miss when you are at astoplight, then when you get on the gas, it's real sluggish for a few seconds, then it takes off and runs smooth like normal. Still has plenty of power after you get it wound up a little bit. The problem has been plaquing me for over 6 months now and it's killing my gas mileage. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks.
Old August 9th, 2007, 5:35 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Multiple Random Misfires

I had the same problem w/ our 96, ended up being the fuel pressure regulator. Took it to2 different shops, ended up taking it to the local Chevrolet dealership to figure it out.
Old August 9th, 2007, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

check your plugs to see if u cracked the porcelin...thats what i did...i had over 6,000 misfires in just one cylinder in a 15 mile ride down the highway....i had the EXACT same problems as your did.....my was a hairline crack in my plugs, i must of broke it whan i was putting it in cuz the wrench didnt want to go on there cuz of the shroud around the exhaust manifold in number 1 cylinder....so once i realized what the prob was i took a hammer to the shroud and just folded it over....so now that wont ever happen again
Old August 9th, 2007, 5:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: killuminatii20

i must of broke it whan i was putting it in cuz the wrench didnt want to go on there cuz of the shroud around the exhaust manifold in number 1 cylinder....so once i realized what the prob was i took a hammer to the shroud and just folded it over....so now that wont ever happen again
I wonder if that shroud was there for a reason...
Old August 10th, 2007, 10:25 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks, I'm leaving this saturday and will be back in a week and I'll try those and post the results!

Old August 20th, 2007, 8:36 AM
CF Beginner

It was indeed the fuel pressure regulator. Truck runs like a brand new one now! changing the regulator, easy, getting to the regulator to change it, not so easy. took me about 3 hours. you have to pull the upper intake manifold. Do yourself a favor and replace all the rubber gaskets while you are changing the regulator. They cost about 18 bucks and no added labor really. Thanks!