Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   My '93 1500 fixer upper... (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/my-93-1500-fixer-upper-55401/)

Chris9126 December 25th, 2012 10:00 PM

My '93 1500 fixer upper...

2 Attachment(s)
I have a '93 GMC (Chevy forum, I know. What's the big difference?!) C1500, longbed ext cab, 350/700R4, 216K miles.... Picked it up last Monday on trade. Needs lots of love, & patience... & those are factory steps I'm told!

Chris9126 December 25th, 2012 10:05 PM

The first thing I did was an oil change, I was told the motor was rebuilt 40K ago, & trans, but I highly doubt it. I also had to shim the starter, luckily they had put in a new heavy duty starter soon before I aquired it :D

I also have oil & temp gauges that are acting up, they skyrocket when the brakes are applied, or at low idle too. Also my trip meter doesn't work, either. I've picked up some small 1" oil & temp gauges, I was going to put them in the factory radio slot however now I'm thinking of a full center console, complete with switches & gauges... :rolleyes:

I also started on a back bumper (original was plenty heavy duty, but didn't have a receiver hitch & I definately wanted a receiver, the purpose of this truck is pulling trailers.. I'll upload osme pics soon. It's not quite finished yet, tag & clearance lights & muflaps, & more welding/grinding to finish her up....

Chris9126 December 30th, 2012 11:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what progress I've made on the bumper, & there's still more work to do.... I've scored a mudflap off a semi I'm going to cut in half & mount on each side. Clearance lights, tag lights, more grinding/torching/welding & then paint!

Chris9126 December 31st, 2012 10:04 PM

Played around in the snow today, doing donuts in the school parking lot. Lol. That's quite longer of a truck than the Dakota doesn't like to spin around as easy. Anyways, left me stranded today. Went to leave the gf's house & turn the key over crank crank crank nothin'. Turns over strong either not getting fuel or not getting fire. Taking off work tomorrow, borrowing a truck, taking my savings & gonna try & get the GMC back on the road. Ahhhh hate working on ****..... I also broke one of my taillights yesterday, unloading scrap. Oh well, it's a work truck

Chris9126 January 2nd, 2013 8:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Found a set of wheels for it they're 15/7 fronts & 15/10 rears Cragar Nomads with hardly any miles white but painted black. 50$ for the set of four can't beat that. Not sure how they'll look on the truck but oh well we will see, needing to get some highway tires on her anyways.... Does anyone know where I can score adapters for 4.5 to 5 lug pattern?!

chevyboy1993 January 3rd, 2013 1:09 AM

looks like its going to be a fun build, i wish i would've kept my 95. i could never find a 4.5" to 5" adapter for wheels and honestly it's quite hard to find some nice used 5x5" rims for these trucks, I've looked everywhere for mine. for the no start problem, have someone crank the motor over while you watch the injectors, if the spray is weak or inconsistent, look at Ignition Control Module or injectors. these trucks are very easy to diagnose and fix.

Chris9126 January 3rd, 2013 4:33 PM

:DYeah, I have found two sets of wheels for it so far that are 5x5. One set is chrome swirl style wheels which I really don't like. & the other set is 20" chrome wheels that look pretty damn good, on Pirellis. BUT, although I was thinking about lowering it I've decided against it. So if I can get ahold of this guy with the Nomads I would like to try that route.

As for the no start problem, it only does it when it hits single digits, & I think/hope we are through the single digit weather... I was thinking there could be water in the gas tank so dumped some alcohol gas tank treatment in four a couple bucks. :confused:

I've been looking at custom grills (I want it to be set apart from the other GMC's....) like the phantoms etc, but don't like the price. Going to try my hand at using steel mesh, diamond plate, & some spray paint to give it a one off grill this weekend.... After I finish that already rusted (been driving the plain steel bumper through the snow & slush for a couple weeks) bumper & put lights/mudflaps on it. :cool:

chevyboy1993 January 4th, 2013 7:27 AM

for my grill to give it kind of a one off look; i took a chevy grill and got a chrome bowtie on the front, cut out the plastic fins that ran through it and got some nice stainless steel mesh and painted that gloss black. looked pretty cool, only bad thing was i spent my time on that custom grill insert and ended up trading the truck in a week later

Chris9126 January 5th, 2013 10:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Haha!I know how that goes, I hope I can keep this truck for a good while. The purpose of this truck is by the time I get the bugs worked out on it, my dad & I will be done with my buggi & ready to trailer it around! I'll put a picture of its current setup.

Anyways I put the mudflaps on, some people say they look cool as hell some say they look stupid. But I got some time into that bumper & those flaps so they're staying. I still need clearance lights & a tag light, & I plan to put a couple D-Ring shackles for safety chain mounts. We shall see....

Chris9126 January 8th, 2013 1:09 PM

I made my first scrap load with the GMC yesterday. A four door Honda and about 500 lbs of scrap steel, truck squatted about an inch or two. Enough to drag the mudflaps. Honda had no motor/trans.

I've gotten a lot of compliments about the mudflaps, also. Very happy with them. My stepdad has a set of running boards the factory style I think they will fit this truck. Wanting to say they're about 8 ft long they went from wheel to wheel on my Jeep YJ so that'd be a close guess. They may be my next project, after the final bracing & trailer plug/clearance lights for the rear bumper.