Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

My brand new Silverado has a hair in the paint job !!!

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2006, 10:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My brand new Silverado has a hair in the paint job !!!

javascript:void(AddText('[]')) I just picked up my brand new Silverado LS CrewCab last night.Toady I noticed there is a human hair in the paint on the bed of the truck just in front of the rear wheel well.It is about 2.5 inches long in an s shape.It was stuck to the metal before they painted it so the paint has funny little marks around the edge of the hair.
I took it to the dealer today but it was almost 6pm so the service manager wwas gone.The general manager said they could buff it out and repaint it but it may not be as perfect as the factory finish.
I have only had the truck one day and do not want the quality of the paint job comprimized.What do think my options are? What would you do?
Old February 28th, 2006, 11:16 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: My brand new Silverado has a hair in the paint job !!!

sounds like a deal breaker to me...and a good reason to wait and buy a silverado once the new body style comes out...but thats just my point of view.
Old February 28th, 2006, 11:28 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply blankfixation.
I am not worried about body style.I can't wait for a new one to come out . I am contemplating asking the dealer for a different truck.They put a spray in bedliner for me already but that's their loss.I have a feeling they new the hair was there and just hoped I wouldn't notice.
Old March 1st, 2006, 4:32 PM
CF Beginner

The nightmare continues....

I contacted The Department of Consumer Protection to ask about my rights.The first lady told me basically that I had none.I took delivery of the truck so it was mine.I then called the DMV and spoke to a person in their Dealer & Repair complaint department.He told me I definitely had rights and that he would talk to the DCP and to call him back.

I called him back and he said I definitely had a legit complaint.He gave me the # for the State Lemon Law claims dep. he told me how to fill out a claim with the DMV and told me between the two agencies they make things happen.

I called the DCP and asked them.The lady started in about the process...4 times to the dealer ect. I then told her it was a paint issue and she said that's a whole nother story.She said don't let the dealer touch the paint.If they won't give me a new vehicle, file a claim with them and it will go to arbitration.

She explain about depreciation and how the paint would never be the same if I let them paint it.She said that GM plays hardball when it comes to this sort of thing but if I have all my documentation in order I should win.She told me to get a written statement from the dealer saying the paint issue was covered by the warranty to prove that it is a factory error,which I did.

I contacted the main Chevy Customer Service center and file a report with them.I expressed my concerns to the dealer who again offered to paint the panel,which I declined.They then said it would go to GM for a decision from them.

So now I wait to hear back from GM.I'll let you all know what happens.

I went into this purchase thinking I had covered all my bases.I researched every detail on the net.Got a Consumer Report car buying guide ect. Today I notice they charged me $180 for VIN etching and they didn't even do it !!!!
Old March 2nd, 2006, 9:36 AM
CF Beginner

Upon closer inspection and after talk with folks in another forum I have conlcuded that the article trapped in the paint is not a human hair.It is most likely an ostriich feather which they use at the factory to remove dust.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 10:13 PM
CF Beginner

I posted some picture at another forum.Check it out!

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread....7&page=5&pp=12
Old March 3rd, 2006, 12:12 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry to hear you have to go through all this BS. I can only say "typical GM quality and service".
Old March 3rd, 2006, 5:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Sorry to hear about your issues. Hopefully this will all get worked out soon and you can go on with a new truck. In the mean time, hang in there and good luck.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 7:25 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for nice words guys...here is the latest

Well I have been hashing it out with GM customer service who basically told me they didn't care if I was happy.They said a different truck was out of the question,(which I had figured already since I am still in the same truck 4 days later),and that their only offer was to repaint the panel for me.Nothing for my loss or pain and suffering.

The dealer has been more simpathetic.Here is what they have offered...I have been dealing with the general manager who seems like a sincere person.He will give me the $300.00 paint protection they tried to sell me when I purchased the car,and Scotch gaurd the interior.Both with the full warranty that they come with.He handed me a check for the VIN etching that was never done.He promised to paint the truck to my satisfaction and warranty that paint as long as I own the truck.

He also promised to go to bat for me with GM customer service who has since called me back and offered to make one truck payment($400.00) for me.I told the general manager if they made it two payments or a 72month/75000 mile extended warranty that I would be happy.So he said he will try and let me know on monday.
Old March 8th, 2006, 4:51 PM
CF Junior Member

Good Luck with that and good for you for sticking to your guns. Let us know what happens.

Quick Reply: My brand new Silverado has a hair in the paint job !!!