Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Need Help with a 1987 Chevy Custom Deluxe!

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2012, 10:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with a 1987 Chevy Custom Deluxe!

I am currently having issues with my 1987 Chevy Custom Deluxe truck. For its age, it runs great, other then the fact that when you place the vehicle in park, it slides into reverse. You can literally watch the shifter slowely move its ways into the reverse position and it starts to roll backwards. I just wanted to know, is this a shifter issue? is this a transmission issue? I have been told its the EGR valve but im not 100% sure if it is, I have not sent it into a mechanic yet, I am simply trying to do as best as i can with it without having to spend tons of money on it unless neccessary. Feedback asap would be greatly appreciated!!
Old March 21st, 2012, 5:01 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either the gate in the column is out of time with the transmission or that gate is worn out. Make sure the little 'lever spring' makes you "lift" to get in and out of park and reverse. They sometimes break, but are easily repaired by driving out the pin at the selector lever.

To adjust the linkage to the transmissioin, there is an adjustment on the linkage up above the transmission shift shaft (a sliding bolt affair).

Loosen the locking bolt so it will slide on the rod.

Place the selector gate (gear selector handle) in the neutral position (feel it, don't go by the pointer).

Go down to the transmission again and make sure the the tranny "snaps" thru the different gears to make sure all is okay inside the transmission. (If it doesn't "snap" the bolt has come loose inside the transmission or the range spring is broken.)

Then, put the transmission in neutral also. Again, you do this by feel. First position is park, then reverse, and then neutral.

Lock the bolt back down on that slider. Road test and fine tune as needed.

Allan

Last edited by Allan In NE; March 21st, 2012 at 5:08 PM.
Old August 1st, 2012, 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

i had the same problem and it was the linkage to the tranny
Old September 3rd, 2012, 4:43 PM
CF Beginner

Default Steering wheel problems

Hello, I am having trouble changing out the stock steering wheel on my '87 custom deluxe for a custom wheel, I think i need a pusher for it but im not finding a lip that the pusher can hook on.
Old July 20th, 2013, 4:56 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 1987 Custom Deluxe, I am looking to replace the transmission, I am curious if I can't find a chevy trany I can use a Blazer, as we used that to replace the front axle??? Also when I am shopping for one, what do I ask for?? What info should have for them so we match my truck to the correct transmission??? Thank you.