Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   Need help picking the right Silverado. Please Help!!!! (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/need-help-picking-right-silverado-please-help-57061/)

Fletcher34 March 14th, 2013 1:59 PM

Need help picking the right Silverado. Please Help!!!!

I'm needing a relatively cheap 4wd truck. It will not be a daily driver. I have two options before me so I need experienced member's advice and opinions.
Option 1
One buddy has a 94 Chevy Z71 with the bigger motor in it. It is single cab and he says it's never had any major problems. No engine work or tranny work. Its got over 200K miles on it. He's used it quite a bit to haul trailers and hay. He's wanting $3400 for it.

Option 2
Another buddy of mine has a 2001 Chevy Z71 with the 5.3 fully loaded except leather seats. Extended cab long bed. I know this guy a lot better and trust him with my life. I know he's taken care of the vehicle. He's had it since 70K miles. It currently has over 200k miles. He's asking $5,000

What do you guys think? Both have same mileage. One is quite a bit cheaper. Which model is best?

Mrke1 March 14th, 2013 2:08 PM

If you can comfortably afford the '01, do it. It seems like a better situation all around.(newer/close friend)

One word of advice, these people are most likely selling the vehicle to you in good faith. If either one has issues(knock on wood), try not to take it personally and let it ruin a friendship.

Fishinfooleric10@aol.com March 14th, 2013 2:57 PM

I would definitely go with the 01

oldchevy March 15th, 2013 8:21 AM

You don't know the maintenance record of the 94. Even if after 200,000 miles on it with no problems, it is due for many problems in the near future especially if it was not maintained well. On the other hand you do know about the 01 since a good friend has it. If you have the extra money then definitely go with the 01.

tech2 March 15th, 2013 9:09 AM

without seeing either...2001, especially if you live in the rust belt

hicksvilleshick March 16th, 2013 10:33 AM

Well I guess my first question would be what do you plan on using the truck for?

Are you going to be pulling loads enough to justify the "bigger" motor of the 94?

Define bigger motor, 5.7 or 7.4?

I realize you said you need 4x4 and it won't be a DD, but both are over 200k, you trust one more than the other, I'd go with the 01 unless you plan on needing a bigger motor.

99 Silverado 3 door June 29th, 2013 3:15 AM

My 2 cents? I have a 99 Silverado with 5.3 Liter V8. Love the engine. Runs great with no problems. I have just over 220,000 miles on it. You know the person with the 01 and trust him? Go with that one. Routine maintenance is the key.

westgl June 29th, 2013 10:05 AM

I have both a 97 and a 99
my 99 is like the 01 that you are looking at.

I would much rather have the 99' it feels sportier driving it, and more comfortable, & handles better too.

My 99' has 155K on it