Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need info please.

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2012, 11:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need info please.

hello,

I just recently purchased a 1988 Chevrolet C1500 regular cab shortbed stepside. Absolutely love the truck. Is my 3rd chevy i've owned. However. On my 88 I have a cab corner that has a pretty decent hole from where it has rusted. I was wondering if there were any diamond plated cab corner covers that I could use temporarily until able to fix this. Or just any information for a quick fix would be great. Will try to post pictures this week. Thank you

88stepside
Old August 6th, 2012, 3:46 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

You can use fiberglass with fiberglass cloth. Clean the rusted area to clean metal.
Old August 7th, 2012, 11:04 AM
CF Beginner

If you could give me some info on a tutorial or somewhere I can research this I would be interested in knowing. Thank you for your response.
Old August 7th, 2012, 2:48 PM
CF Active Member

Do you know anyone with a mig welder? New cab corners are not that expensive. Cut out old, weld in new, primer both sides real well and save your money to pay a professional to finish it out at a later time. Just would not recommend waiting too long getting it finished. If you don't know how to cut/weld, there are tons of instructional info out there you just have to look and NOT be intimidated to try it.
Old August 8th, 2012, 11:20 AM
CF Beginner

I've watched some videos on the welding and cutting them out I think i'm going to try that have done welding before so doesn't look to difficult. After I have done this, what else is there to "finish it out" just out of curiosity.
Old August 8th, 2012, 4:35 PM
CF Active Member

Sheet metal is easy to blow holes in, you really want to use .023 ga. Wire and watch your settings and speed. NO FULL BEADS but lots of tack welds. Also watch heat build up with your grinder. Don't use a grinding wheel, use a flap disc wheel to grind the welds smooth. Again watch heat build up as this will warp the metal. Finish it out requires filler, primer, block sanding, and painting the finish coat/ clear coat blending it in with the old paint. Also just because you buy a whole cab corner doesn't mean you have to use the whole thing. Cut out only what's bad and save as much original metal as you can unless it is too far gone. I am not a bodyman so don't only go by my advise if someone else has advise too. Watch videos, read articles, books or any other instructions. What your trying to do is not that hard- finish work is the hardest part.
Old August 9th, 2012, 12:53 AM
CF Active Member

On Rockauto.com is where I picked up some cab corners for $15 each. I pushed them in place, used 3 sheet metal screws. Then I lightly brazed them along the top and inside with some .30 flux core (yes I did blow a couple holes through). Then I grinded the extra slag off, and put bondo over it. I still need to finish it and put some paint over it.

Check my album out you'll see what it looks like.
Old August 9th, 2012, 11:06 AM
CF Beginner

ok i'm goign to check rockauto out i've heard about them before. Where would you all go for tail lights and some accessories? I have a cracked lens and figured i'd just look around for a new set.
Old August 9th, 2012, 10:13 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by 88stepside
ok i'm goign to check rockauto out i've heard about them before. Where would you all go for tail lights and some accessories? I have a cracked lens and figured i'd just look around for a new set.
there are three sites I browse whenever im looking to replace an item:
1.) 88-98 Chevrolet C-_and_K-Series_Truck Parts at Andy's Auto Sport
2.) Ebay.com
3.) Rockauto.com
Old August 10th, 2012, 10:27 PM
CF Active Member

LMCtruck.com has alot of parts to offer also.