Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need some help....

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2009, 7:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help....

I have a 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500. It has 31,000 miles on it and over the last 1000 I have had nothing but trouble. Of course it all began 1 month after the warrenty expired and so far the dealerships have refused to fix it. It has been in no accidents and has had regular oil changes.

A list of whats wrong:
1)No cruise control
2)No brake lights
3)No A/C (Had it checked there is a leak and the Vent clutch is not cycling)
4)Check engine light has come on and the codes are:

P0449
EVAP (Evaporative Emission System) purge/vent solenoid circuit condition

P0455
This indicates a fuel vapor leak or lack of purge flow in the EVAP control system. It means a large leak has been detected.

Now this all has happened within the last 3-4 months and I cant believe its all just coincedence. The only thing I have had done on the vehicle was a remote start installed by Bestbuy. (Viper brand) Anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? I cant afford to fix these problems at the moment but I also need to stop more from happening. Thanks in advance for your time.
Old June 9th, 2009, 8:50 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had an instance on an 03 where there was a code for the brakes in the computer and it caused the cruise not to work, not sure if the brake lights worked, or its a blown fuse. right now i wouldn't wory about the codes, they are just evap codes and it should run fine. probably the evap sensor is the problem, usually is. where does the a/c leak? sounds like you bought a "friday" truck. don't let it get you down, just laugh in its face. isn't it nice the assembly line guys get paid $40/hr to assemble problems for you and me?
Old June 9th, 2009, 8:52 PM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

Remote start is most likely your problem. We got a viper system installed on my moms dmax for a christmas present, and the truck was basically falling apart soon after. Got so pissed off with it that we just took it back in and made them take it off after trying to get them to fix it 5 times. I have a feeling that all the electrical problems you are having stem from this... Especially from best buy
Old June 10th, 2009, 12:38 AM
CF Beginner

yeah best buy sucks!! had them install a stereo in my old jeep and my dash lights wouldn't turn off!! ended up taking it to audio express to fix it.
Old June 10th, 2009, 12:40 AM
CF Active Member

Best Buy did a fine job installing my head unit and my amp, but I wouldn't trust them doing any of my speakers or anything. I just wanted those two professionally wired with a warranty.
Old October 30th, 2009, 3:32 PM
CF Beginner

Talking Maybe this will help

I have a Hyundai Sonata that the engine light came on, the cruise wouldn't work, and brake lights wouldn't work. Can't remember codes I got but it was the switch and wiring harness assembly under the brake pedal. Luckily it was still under warranty and had a recall. You might check the recalls on your vehicle.
Old October 30th, 2009, 6:12 PM
CF Active Member

check the ground for your taillights.
Old November 4th, 2009, 1:34 PM
CF Beginner

Default P0455 SES code

For several days I was getting the message 'Tighten Fuel Cap' on my odometer read out for diagnostics. Checked tightness everytime and it was okay. Then check engine light came on and stayed on. I took my truck (2005 Silverado Crew Cab, 5.3 engine, with 32,000 miles) to Advance Auto and they said I had code P0455 - large fuel system leak..

I took the truck to the local GM dealer today and they diagnosed the
problem to be an open vent solenoid valve (don't know where this is located). Anyway I had this replaced ( in addition went ahead and had the fuel injectors & throttle body cleaned).

The check engine light is off for now, will keep you posted if it comes back,, and as for the trucks performance, it idles better and has much smoother and better acceleration, should've had this done sooner.

Good luck with your issues.