Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Need suggestions

Old August 16th, 2012, 10:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need suggestions

i got this POS 86 silverado 4x4 single cab swb 350 carb... needs complete rebuild .... the only thing good about it is the drivetrain is all good and the body is straight exept one dent on the roof where a limb fell on it... i got it for free by trading up... need suggestions on best solutions to interior and wiring mainly... a wiring harness is like 800 bucks! whats my other options... i have thought about rewiring it by hand one at a time. thats a option. pic is posted.. ill post more later
Attached Thumbnails Need suggestions-photo04101107_1.jpg  
Old August 17th, 2012, 8:36 PM
CF Active Member

Rewiring "by hand myself" is NOT a good idea. You would run out of different colors long before you got it finished therefore having to use the same colors over again. If you had 2,3,or 4 wires all the same color and you have to try and trace down a problem, you would have to unloom the whole harness so you could trace 1 individual wire from point A to point B. Also consider what you would do for any plugs that are required. Major headaches. Shop around for a cheaper harness. You will not regret it. As for a interior, hit the local junkyards for a seat. Door panels could be made with thin plywood or sheet metal covered with some foam and vinyl or fabric. Carpet costs around $100 or so. There's no reason you couldn't do what you want for around $1000 if you shop around and put in some sweat equity. Good luck.
Old August 17th, 2012, 9:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by grumpychevy
Rewiring "by hand myself" is NOT a good idea. You would run out of different colors long before you got it finished therefore having to use the same colors over again. If you had 2,3,or 4 wires all the same color and you have to try and trace down a problem, you would have to unloom the whole harness so you could trace 1 individual wire from point A to point B.
you sir, have never worked on combination vans. every wire is red or black... literally lol... but all that aside i agree that you should find a harness. rewiring is not your best option. if it is only a select few things that need to be fixed, then maybe look into wire repair rather than replacement. interior is rather easy. carpet for these trucks is rather cheap, seats can be recovered by you if you are willing to try. just undo the seams and use the old material as a pattern. you may want to down size about 1/4 or less of an inch to take up the slack from age. door panels on these trucks are incredibly easy. you should be able to reuse the backing off the original door panel... also, diamond plate looks good too
Old September 13th, 2012, 5:32 AM
CF Active Member

What? This has nothing to do with the original question. Start a new thread with as much info as possible.