Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Needle pin bearings in oil "not rocker arm"

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2014, 11:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needle pin bearings in oil "not rocker arm"

Help!!

So I thought I was helping a friend out with quieting his lifter tick. I drained the oil and found serves needle pin bearings In the oil. Being a ford guy I got online started looking all over. Saw that the rocker arms were a good place to start. Well just pulled valve cover, and rocker arms can't be the area they came from. The needle pin bearings are about 1/2", rockers appear to be 1/4 or so. Where did these come from.

5.3l 250,000 miles very bad and loud knock/tick. Lower oil pressure about 20psi, I'm going to drop pan and check oil pick up oring.

Please be nice all you chevy guys... Help an auto guy out.
Attached Thumbnails Needle pin bearings in oil "not rocker arm"-image.jpg  

Last edited by Fordguy; March 31st, 2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old March 31st, 2014, 11:23 PM
CF Beginner

Another picture
Attached Thumbnails Needle pin bearings in oil "not rocker arm"-image.jpg  
Old March 31st, 2014, 11:33 PM
CF Beginner

could be from the roller on the lifter I would pull the lifters first starting with the side making the noise
Old March 31st, 2014, 11:40 PM
CF Beginner

Would it be easier/cheaper to buy a newer motor?
Old April 1st, 2014, 7:01 AM
CF Beginner

Is the vehicle worth it? is it worth a couple of grand to repair that is the owners call
Old August 18th, 2018, 6:39 PM
CF Beginner

1/2" long, approx 1/16" diameter
Did you ever find where the roller bearing came from?

I have the same issue. The truck started ticking and the oil pressure was around 20 PSI. The oil level was fine. I ran motor flush through the engine and then changed the oil. Out came a needle bearing just like the one shown in your picture. It was attached to the magnet on the drain plug. I also pulled the head on the noisy side and removed the rocker arms and push rods. They appeared to have normal wear with no blockage in the push rods.
Old September 30th, 2018, 12:02 AM
CF Beginner

If the bearings are 1/2” in length, they are from the lifters. If they are shorter, they will be from the rocker arms. I removed my lifters and found one to be damaged. All the needle bearings were gone.
Old September 2nd, 2020, 11:16 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Fordguy
Help!!

So I thought I was helping a friend out with quieting his lifter tick. I drained the oil and found serves needle pin bearings In the oil. Being a ford guy I got online started looking all over. Saw that the rocker arms were a good place to start. Well just pulled valve cover, and rocker arms can't be the area they came from. The needle pin bearings are about 1/2", rockers appear to be 1/4 or so. Where did these come from.

5.3l 250,000 miles very bad and loud knock/tick. Lower oil pressure about 20psi, I'm going to drop pan and check oil pick up oring.

Please be nice all you chevy guys... Help an auto guy out.
Same thing just happened to me on 2004 Tahoe 5.3L with 247K miles. (See pic- I found 16 pins in oil pan). Did you fix yours? Rebuild it? But new motor? Anyone know how many pins in a lifter? Any chance to rebuild top side including cam, lifters, rockers, springs, valves, clean heads, and it resolve? Or did anyone damage their lower engine?

Old September 2nd, 2020, 12:40 PM
CF Beginner

TexasSteve,

I ended up buying a crate engine and swapping mine out. I had a couple of lifters that were damaged. I didn't want to risk missing one bearing and causing engine damage at a later date. I tried to research the number of bearings in a lifter. I never did find the correct answer. I seem to remember there are around 20 +/- 4. I know that is of no help. The lifters are down low, so you might get away with taking apart the lower end of the engine. Good luck with the project.
Old September 2nd, 2020, 12:57 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for info. I assume that engine was $4K or $6K installed? Jasper engine, etc?

i am going to risk it and replace lifters, CAM, and have heads rebuilt. Mostly because I had already purchased lifters and cam kit in March from RockAuto. I have found 16 pins and if I only find 1 bad lifter I am down to 0-4 pins in system. I will keep researching to determine count. If I am lucky and it only 1 broke lifter the odds of the other pins being in lifter tray or heading towards the pan like other 16 might be good. Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Needle pin bearings in oil "not rocker arm"