Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   New Problem-bad vibration (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/new-problem-bad-vibration-30270/)

98white5.0 February 11th, 2010 9:21 PM

New Problem-bad vibration

So I have a new problem that just started a few hours ago. When I go about 55-65 the whole front end shakes and vibrates really bad. It's like I'm going over a bunch of bumps constantly. This shake happens about 4 times a second. If I go over 65 or under 55, the problem stops. Earlier today, I drove 100 miles without a problem. The truck set for about an hour then this problem happened immediately when I hit 55.

Now, I'm thinking it's the wheel bearings. When I was getting new tires (months ago) the guy at the place told me my wheel bearings were going bad. I told him I could do it at home, but forgot about it.

When all tires are on the ground, I can push and pull on the top of the tire and on the driver side it travels about an inch back and forth. On the passenger side, it's about a half inch of travel. Is this what's causing the major vibration?

2wd, 1998 silverado. 202k miles.

maxxman04 February 11th, 2010 9:24 PM

i'd definetely start with the bearings! wouldn't drive truck anymore in case it is bearings.

gotstylez February 11th, 2010 10:58 PM

yea deff the bearings..jack up the front and wiggle the tires up and down if theres a lot of play bearings for sure! have somebody look under so they can tell you which 1 it is!

98white5.0 February 12th, 2010 4:10 PM

Ok, so it's not the bearings. Today I also rotated the tires. No change. I remember the guy at the tire place telling me something about the pitman or the idler arm (can't remember which) needing to be replaced. Might one of those be the problem? My grandpa thinks it might be a bad shock. My dad says bad alignment or one of the "arms" mentioned above. I don't know. I do know it's not the bearings or the tires.

gotstylez February 12th, 2010 4:16 PM

well when i said the post above for some reason i thought u said ball joint :D so never mind it. tho it might be a ball boint too? i had real bad vibration in my truck at above 65mph and when stopping.

98white5.0 February 12th, 2010 4:55 PM

The vibration is like there is no travel in the front suspension. Imagine a stiff-legged vehicle with no suspension (maybe an old bicycle) or even something that doesn't have rubber tires. Maybe like one of those power wheels cars, no suspension and plastic tires. Every little imperfection in the road is exaggerated so badly that the whole dash shakes. I'm wondering though, do shocks do this also when they go bad?

maxxman04 February 12th, 2010 5:08 PM

bad shock(s) can in fact cause some vibration. they are what absorbs the bumps and vibrations from road. it's not a full proof test, but go around each corner of truck and bouce it up and down really good. if shocks are still good, truck shouldn't bounce anymore than couple times. you should also be able to feel a bit of resistance. if truck bounces too easy or more than a couple times, probably bad shock.

98white5.0 February 24th, 2010 9:26 PM

I checked the shocks using the prescribed method. They seem fine. This weekend I'm gonna get the tires balanced. I can't think of what my problem could be and it's getting frustrating.

992door February 24th, 2010 9:42 PM

Jack the front of the truck up and grab the tire at 3 and 9 and try to shake it back and forth. Then grab the tire at 12 and 6 and try to shake it back and forth that way. If there is alot of play at 3 and 9 look for something in the steering to be wrong. If you have alot of play at 12 and 6 ball joints