Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Radiator.... lower hose too cold?

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2010, 6:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Radiator.... lower hose too cold?

Hello everyone, I really need your help. I just replaced the Radiator on our 1997 C1500 350. Everything works great...but the lower hose (outtake) is not getting warm enough (not as I'm used to like it does on our Camaro).

The Temp. is somewhere between 160-175. The new Thermostat is a 195 so I'm not sure is it not getting warmer because it doesn't reach the temperature or is something wrong?

I'm a little confused. Our Camaro has also a 195 thermostat but the lower hose gets a lot warmer.

What's your experience?

Thanks to all!
Old October 4th, 2010, 8:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you replace the water pump or flush the system?
Verify you got all the air out when you filled it and warm up the truck with the cap off, see if the thermostat is opening and the water pump is circulating the coolant.<O</O
Old October 4th, 2010, 9:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you...
I flushed the system.
I didn't replace the water pump but I'm sure it works cause the heater inside works perfect and if I squeeze the upper hose and release it there is pressure. Do you know any other way to check it?
Yep I did that with the open cap and warming up. You can even see it floating a little bit. First I thought it was the thermostat. I built in a new one right away but it happened in the past that the new one was damaged so I got a 2nd new one - still the same. The Upper hose gets hot the lower just a little tiny bit warm.