Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

No start ( Fuel Pump or Fuel Pump Relay? )

Old December 28th, 2012, 2:38 AM
BRB
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start ( Fuel Pump or Fuel Pump Relay? )

1997 Chevy 1500 long bed 5.7L 120K

Working on mother in-laws truck. Presented with issue of truck shutting off a couple of time in a 10 min period. She asked me to do a tune up on the truck, being the good son in law how can you say no. backed the truck in the in garage today it died 3 times while trying to get it in the garage. Started off replacing the fuel filter ( that was almost completed plugged ( the old blow thru test) come to find out truck has never had a tune up or fuel filter replaced since new). After the filter was replaced tried to start and the pump kicked on once. Truck still wouldn't start, it was to late to try and start it, continued on with the rest of the tune up Plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Plugs were worn and about .10 over spec for the gap, cap and rotor had some corrosion and pretty good wear. Just for kicks I tried to start with no luck. The fuel pump does not cycle on now. She said she just started having problems on xmas day, only drives the truck a couple of time a week to get food and smokes.

I did not have anyting tools with me to test the relay, but that does not even click now. For some reason I can not seem to find my service manual to dig thru for the schematics and trouble shooting stuff and I am a couple of hours away from home to run back and look for it.

Any thought or suggestions would be great!

Thanks
Old December 28th, 2012, 6:48 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

The relay is an easy thing to change as compared with the fuel pump, so try that first. I am not familiar with the 1997, but other years have 2 or 3 relays which are exactly the same. If you another one in there with the same numbers, change them with each other to see if that fixes the problem.
Old December 28th, 2012, 8:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jump the relay terminals or put power directly to the pump terminal at the relay and see if it kicks on.

i'm betting you'll need a pump if they were running a plugged filter for any amount of time it can burn up a pump pretty easily