Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

OEM Backup camera How-To: change to always ON

Old April 21st, 2011, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Backup camera How-To: change to always ON

I have a 2010 Silverado LT with the backup camera and rear view mirror display.
I do NOT have the in-dash navigation radio.

I want to find a way to activate the backup camera all the time.

In other words, change the functionality from strictly a backup camera to a rear view mirror adjunct that will come ON when the truck us turned ON.

Has anyone already done this?

Does anyone know how to do it?

PS: I have searched this forum and read the threads on the backup camera with no success. So if I missed a pertinent thread please let me know.

steve
Old April 22nd, 2011, 6:12 AM
CF Active Member

I have no experience with a factory setup, but I installed a back up camera in my 04 and know that it is wired into the back up lights. When you put the truck in reverse and the back up lights come on, so does the camera. When not in reverse, mine is a GPS. I would think that you would have to find the wire that's going to your back up lights and rewire it to an ignition source so when the key is on, the back up camera would be on all the time.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 9:45 PM
CF Beginner

they should be wired to the reverse lights or a trigger wire should be in the shifter so when the truck is in reverse remove that wire and put it on a toggle switch and you should be good
Old April 23rd, 2011, 2:43 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes but why do you want it to be on all the time? you will see exactly whats on the mirror anyway!!!
Old April 23rd, 2011, 10:30 PM
CF Beginner

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your responses.

That is helpful.

The reason I need something always ON is due to the fact that I have a commercial canopy on the 8' bed. The canopy severely restricts my vision to the rear.
In fact, I don't even see a compact sedan if it is less than 20yards behind me.
An unrestricted sight picture is only attained when the object is 50yards or more behind me.
As you can imagine, that can be dangerous.

So my next question is:
Any suggestions on where to get power from to the OEM camera?
I'm guessing a natural splice-point might be under the dash, driver's side, at the fuse block.

Any suggestions on which conductor may be an auxiliary power source any time the engine is started?

steve
Old April 24th, 2011, 12:46 AM
CF Active Member

RAP (retained accessory power) is in x14 pin 8 in the junction box in the '07 trucks but I have no idea in the 2010 but check that might be the same one in your truck
Old April 26th, 2011, 10:10 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you for the information.

I'm guessing that the Retained Accessory Power conductor is energized when the ignition key is activated, correct?

I'm guessing it is NOT continuously powered from the battery.

Thanks in advance for your patience

steve
Old April 27th, 2011, 11:26 PM
CF Active Member

you are right, it works only with the key, but like I said if you do find it check with a test light, now you might need a relay but that is up to you
let me know if you have any questions
Old January 10th, 2012, 8:19 PM
CF Beginner

So I have the factory Nav in my 2007 Chevy Silverado. It did not come with a backup camera from the factory, but i went to the dealership today, and had the activate my headunit for a backup camera.

So I dont fully understand how adding a switch to constant power will allow the camera to come on whenever i want it to, because right now, even without a camera hooked up, it takes me putting my truck in reverse to change the Nav screen over to the camera screen. Of course, right now its blank since the camera is not hooked up yet. So yes, if i put a switch to constant power to the camera, then the camera will have power. But just because the camera has power, that wouldnt mean that the Nav screen would auto change to the camera view would it? Any help would be appreciated
Old January 11th, 2012, 8:25 PM
CF Active Member

what smbsvcs is trying to accomplish is to power the back up camera that's on the rear view mirror to stay on at all times, no the one in the navigation
now the one you will have is the one that has to power on with reverse only.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OEM Backup camera How-To: change to always ON