Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 23rd, 2015, 4:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Oil Consumption - 2007 Chevy Silverado LTZ Crew Cab

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2011, 6:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Silverado with lots of part changes

Mine has ate a qrt or more every 3-5k miles... So far Chevrolet has replaced all 16 lifters, added a "baffle" device in the oil pan and just this week, all 8 pistons and rings and performed a "decarbon" of the engine. This "oil consumption" is an issue that GM knows about well and have not figured out a way to completely stop it and it appearantly I have been told by a service advisor at GM that it happens to a few engine models but the AFM engines are the very noticable engines. For me I drive 52 miles a day to/from work in which most is interstate and it sees the "V4" mode a good bit. I am told that during the V4 mode is when the oil escapes and is sent as high as the intake manifold and then reinjested into the engine. I wish I had more good info on this as I would like to know the long term issues of having oil burned off through cylinders. Is this why I get 14-15 MPG using cruise at 65mph?
Old January 6th, 2011, 6:36 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2004 Silverado 1500 (purchased used about a year ago with 74k) with the 5.3L V8 engine. I now have 86,xxx miles on it and have changed the oil & filter four times now - once every 3,000 miles or so - since I have had the truck. I always use Mobil-1 5w30 synthetic.

I find that the truck seems to use about 1/2 a quart (more or less) between changes, which I believe is on par with just about every vehicle I have driven. My driving is about 60 percent highway/40 percent city; and I average 16 mpg or so (14 city and 19 on the highway).

Even when I change the oil, it is obvious that my truck could go with longer intervals - but to me it is "cheap insurance" to change the oil and filter more often than necessary. Oil is the lifeblood of an engine, so why take chances or cut corners?
Old January 6th, 2011, 7:29 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by JK23112

I have a 2004 Silverado 1500 (purchased used about a year ago with 74k) with the 5.3L V8 engine. I now have 86,xxx miles on it and have changed the oil & filter four times now - once every 3,000 miles or so - since I have had the truck. I always use Mobil-1 5w30 synthetic.

I find that the truck seems to use about 1/2 a quart (more or less) between changes, which I believe is on par with just about every vehicle I have driven. My driving is about 60 percent highway/40 percent city; and I average 16 mpg or so (14 city and 19 on the highway).

Even when I change the oil, it is obvious that my truck could go with longer intervals - but to me it is "cheap insurance" to change the oil and filter more often than necessary. Oil is the lifeblood of an engine, so why take chances or cut corners?
With a 3k oci why not just stick with conventional oil and save some cash?
Old January 7th, 2011, 10:51 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default using oil

At the risk of starting a major battle here goes. I do not subscribe to the long oil change intervals. Nor do I rely on oil life monitors. If you will notice when the milage reaches about 3K miles is when the level starts to drop. This tells me the oil is breaking down. Your type of driving has an effect on this also. I change my oil and filter at 3k and have never had to open up an engine in the last 40 years. I usually run them 150-200k. Yes I know there are exceptions,but on the whole you are going to spend your money on oil or engines,your choice. And it not a bad idea while the tank is filling up to pop the hood and check the oil.
Old May 25th, 2011, 5:49 AM
CF Beginner

My 07 does the same thing. So far the truck has been through the "decarbon " process and has had the baffle in the oil pan installed. Still using oil though!
Old May 25th, 2011, 12:35 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by racerx55
My 05 5.3 with 55k miles uses about 1qt , sometimes a little more in about 3k to 5k miles and has since it was new. some oil consumption is normal for all engines.
I use synthetic 10w30 and run it till the oil life monitor says 0% or untill 7500 miles and usually go through 2 qts between changes.
Ive only got the low oil message once when i neglected to check it every couple weeks like i normally do, and it was about 1.5 qts low.
This is new to me. I have never had a Chevrolet that did not need overhauling use that much oil. Fords blow through 5-20 like crazy, but I have never had this problem with Chevrolets. My 2011 1500 is too young for me to know yet what it does, but my 2003 6.0 in my 2500HD uses less than 1 qt per 15,000 miles. When I change the filter at 7500, It takes about 3/4 quart to fill engine and new filter. When I do my final drain, at 15,000 it is about 1/2 qt. low. Yes, extended performance mobil is holding up that long according to oil analysis.
My 08 Cobalt uses less less than a pint n 15,000 miles.

Last edited by Reynolds357; May 25th, 2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old May 25th, 2011, 10:20 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jwruss
I have a 07 NBS 5.3 with 110000 miles on it (purchased with 36K on odometer) have used Castrol 5w30 Edge in it since purchase and change oil & filter at 10000 mile intervals. Have never had to add oil between changes or had the oil level down on the stick.

Before anyone makes any comments, I will tell you that I use the truck in the "hot shot" business and drive with some kind of load in the bed at least half the time.
You hot shot with a little 5.3 what are you pulling cotton *****. jk.

My 07 6.0 with afm uses less than .5 qts between oil changes. I drive in very heavy traffic and mayby twice a month get to run it on the interstate. The 2 oil changes Iv had since I got it used at 32000 miles have been done at the dealer free of charge so I bet they are using dino oil. I did the first at 3k then the second at about 8k when the indicator came on. I think any more than about a qt per 3k is way to much but what do I know Im just a IH, KW, Cummins, and Cat tech. (yes i know there are differences in a gas burner and a oil burner)
Old June 15th, 2011, 6:43 PM
CF Beginner

Has anyone else experienced having to take their vehicle into the dealership 4 times for a low oil light. We have taken our 2007 Chevy Silverado LT crew cab with 5.3 engine. into the dealership, which they have changed the oil two times, done two cleaning kits for the pistons & rings, replaced the lifters, done something with the oil pan,now they are replacing the pistons and rings. It only has 40,000 miles on the truck. Was there ever any recalls on these engines?
Old June 15th, 2011, 8:27 PM
CF Beginner

I had all the same work done to mine and it is still eating oil... I am a little over 80k miles and have been told even though my warranty is good for another 20 I will never see a new engine... Nice huh? Now I have shifting problems in conjunction with a "Service Stabilitrak message"
Old June 17th, 2011, 8:32 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Debbie Kostecki,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. I would like to send your issue on to another department for review. To do so, I will need your full contact information. I will also need your VIN and your current mileage. You can send this information to socialmedia@gm.com. Please put ATTN Elizabeth or Liz when you send the e-mail.

Thank you
Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption - 2007 Chevy Silverado LTZ Crew Cab