Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil Everywhere!!

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2011, 11:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil Everywhere!!

I've got stains on the driveway and i am facing the fact i have a leak. The stain is a mix of oil and transmission fluid. Under the trunk oil is evadent. About a month ago I hual a small car on my trailer. While driving to get the car, i noticed oil on the nerf bar. With futher investigation there was oil on the front of the trailer, and under the truck was covered. I am looking for ideas to what might be the problem. And is it fixable by a driveway mechanic? Please help !!
Old December 5th, 2011, 4:38 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

vsraptor1,

I am sorry to hear of the leak on your Silverado. I have done some research on your vehicle and have not been able to find any known leak issues. It is difficult to diagnose a problem like this over the internet, as the cause could vary due to many factors. I encourage you to visit your local dealer for an inspection. They will be able to pinpoint the problem with better accuracy.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 5th, 2011, 5:31 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you guys have done some off site conversations, how can the vehicle be researched when all the post reveals about the vehicle is that its a silverado.

If your trying to save $$ get a free inspection and get the repairs done locally or DIY if you feel you can.

What year is it? is it under warranty? If not dont waste your time at the dealer.
Old December 6th, 2011, 12:22 AM
CF Active Member

He doesn't know what kind of car he has, last I heard they don't make trucks with trunks. Then he says it's oil and transmission fluid under his rig in the rear. Just to take a wild guess, he went over a low hump or driveway when he was towing and managed to scrape his brake lines and crack the rear end housing. More likelly just the brake lines because that would explain why he thinks it's transmission fluid mixed with oil and it could go on leaking because the brakes would work because the master cylinder would shut off the rear brakes.
Old December 6th, 2011, 1:03 AM
CF Beginner

It's a '99 Silverado w/ 5.3L. The tranny fluid is just noticeable directly under motor/tranny mixed with oil. Keep in mind the truck has a skid plate. That makes it really hard to diagnose a lot. And for the oil while towing,it looked "sprayed" all the way from motor to rear bumper from side to side on underneath truck.
Old December 6th, 2011, 7:12 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trans most likely blew fluid out of the vent. If it was overfilled then you towed something it could have happened
Old December 6th, 2011, 1:24 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vsraptor1
It's a '99 Silverado w/ 5.3L. The tranny fluid is just noticeable directly under motor/tranny mixed with oil. Keep in mind the truck has a skid plate. That makes it really hard to diagnose a lot. And for the oil while towing,it looked "sprayed" all the way from motor to rear bumper from side to side on underneath truck.
Then I'd take the skid plate off and start inspecting it. It could be a few things and it's "sprayed" back there because it happened while the truck was in motion. It could be the valve cover gasket (do you see any oil on the side of the engine) or could the oil pan gasket or .......

I'd basically trace the oil as far forward as you can and it'll most likely lead you to the origination of the leak.
Old December 6th, 2011, 9:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Don't forget to check the oil pressure sending unit for leaks.