Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

oil leak and starter malfunction?? need help

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2014, 3:18 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leak and starter malfunction?? need help

02 silverado 6.0. replaced the starter this past july and now its acting up. Just went to look under the truck and everything is covered in oil. I dont have time atm to really look. COuld someone give me a few places to look for this leak? filters covered, starters coverd. Would oil on the starter create a malfunction to the point it wont turn over? battery was just replaced. I litterally have no idea where to start. i will be taking the starter off and taking it to autozone to get tested.
Old February 14th, 2014, 10:19 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is probably coming from the back of the motor. I would recommend going and getting a degreaser like Purple Power and completely cover everything with it and clean what you can. Now if this leak is as bad as you say it is then I would try to not drive the truck before you look for the oil leak because as soon as you drive it that oil is gonna be all over the place again. I would let it idle and see if you cant find a drip and yeah I would think that oil can mess a starter up if its alot of oil