Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

oil on spark plugs

Old July 31st, 2010, 12:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil on spark plugs

2001 Chevy silverado z71 their is oil all over all the spark plugs......are. the piston rings leaking or is it. Something minor
Old July 31st, 2010, 8:50 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it on the electrode side, or the ceramic side?
Old July 31st, 2010, 9:27 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had that problem on my BWM 740, the valve gasket needed to be changed.
Old August 1st, 2010, 4:25 AM
CF Beginner

It's on the ceramic side it Burns like 1/3 of the oil and the rest stays all over the plug and threads
Old August 1st, 2010, 7:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

to be clear, the oil is covering the inside part of plug? possibly rings, probably valve stem seals. is the engine smoking out the exhaust?
Old August 1st, 2010, 11:11 AM
CF Pro Member

if it is on the ceramic, and threads, dont worry it is just the valve cover gasket, just replace them
Old August 1st, 2010, 9:03 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I second the valve cover gaskets leaking if it is on the ceramic only. You may be able to snug the covers down and not have to replace the gaskets thou most likely they are only RTV'd down and will need to replace/install new gaskets...
Old March 26th, 2018, 10:39 PM
CF Beginner

Question Im confused, HOW??! I'm willing to Pay

First off let me say that I know this post is ancient and dead, but unfortunately, I'm having this issue where the spark plug (Number 7) has oil on it. Normally I would think Valve Cover Gasket, but how is that even possible? The spark plug doesn't sit in a spark plug tube, it's screwed directly in the heads. The valve cover gasket has little to do with that, right? The sad part is, I work on cars for a living but I'm not that advanced I guess to know how this is even possible. I don't see the relation.

The valve guilds wouldn't be the culprit (It would go straight tinto the bore) , piston rings are excluded (Electrod not wet)... I mean short of oil tricking down the side of the valve cover and making its way onto the porcelain or ceramic said of the plug Im at a lost.

If you can answer me this and I can visually see how it's possible I will send you 20 bucks for lunch through PayPal. No BS
The following users liked this post:
ZBrink (September 15th, 2022)
Old May 3rd, 2020, 1:40 PM
CF Beginner

Default Did

Originally Posted by SamParker
First off let me say that I know this post is ancient and dead, but unfortunately, having this issue where the spark plug (Number 7) has oil on it. Normally I would think Valve Cover Gasket, but how is that even possible? The spark plug doesn't sit in a spark plug tube, it's screwed directly in the heads. The valve cover gasket has little to do with that, right? The sad part is, I work on cars for a living but I'm not that advanced I guess to know how this is even possible. I don't see the relation.

The valve guilds wouldn't be the culprit (It would go straight tinto the bore) , piston rings are excluded (Electrod not wet)... I mean short of oil tricking down the side of the valve cover and making its way onto the porcelain or ceramic said of the plug Im at a lost.

If you can answer me this and I can visually see how it's possible I will send you 20 bucks for lunch through PayPal. No BS
did you get an answer on this one ? Having the same issue
The following users liked this post:
ZBrink (September 15th, 2022)
Old December 6th, 2020, 10:27 AM
CF Beginner

Default Oil on plug

Originally Posted by SamParker
First off let me say that I know this post is ancient and dead, but unfortunately, I'm having this issue where the spark plug (Number 7) has oil on it. Normally I would think Valve Cover Gasket, but how is that even possible? The spark plug doesn't sit in a spark plug tube, it's screwed directly in the heads. The valve cover gasket has little to do with that, right? The sad part is, I work on cars for a living but I'm not that advanced I guess to know how this is even possible. I don't see the relation.

Had the same issue with mine, 99 Silverado 5.3, found the oil was leaking from the oil pressure sending unit. Changed the unit and solved the issue for mine, hopefully this helps you out

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil on spark plugs