Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old August 10th, 2015, 7:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

P1345 Code, cam/crankshaft positioning sensor timing off.

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2010, 3:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1345 Code, cam/crankshaft positioning sensor timing off.

So recently I've gotten this P1345 code and my brother-in-law told me just to change the sensor and that should be fine. But money isn't the most abundant and I barely have the $50 for a new sensor. I haven't moved the distributor or anything of the sort, so I was hoping if I could get a couple opinions from those of you who know this engine best. The engine is starting to run kinda choppy and I really want to just fix it up a bit.

It's the 5.7 Vortec 350 in a 1996 Z71. Thanks in advance.
Old May 6th, 2010, 4:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

typically, the 1345 code is either the cam sensor, the crank sensor, distributor is off, or timing chain jumped. unfortunately, it can cost a bit to figure out. first step would be to have a dealer read the cam/crank offset. this needs to be set to 0 degrees, + or - 2 degrees. you could end up spending money on sensors that don't need replacing, when it just needs a quick adjustment of distributor. now, a distributor drive gear worn out could cause this code to. generally, if the cam or crank sensor goes out, motor won't run. i'd have the cam offset, also known as cam retard, checked. go from there.
Old May 10th, 2010, 9:27 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah, my level of frustration couldn't be measured when I replaced the crank sensor and reset the code and it didn't turn on.

Then a few miles down the road it popped right back on and I almost lost it.

But I guess the best thing to do would be to take it to a dealership, right? The only thing I can't stand about that is that the last time I did, they charged me $50 just so they could tell me what was wrong with it on a day where they had no customers, it was ridiculous. Thanks for the advice though, I'll check it out the next time I get a decent amount of extra cash. Thanks.
Old May 11th, 2010, 9:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ypu sure no one moved the distributor? you didnt have the intake gaskets recently replaced or anything recently befor light came on?
Old May 12th, 2010, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

Nope. Before the light came on I was just driving it around, it's my daily driver. I was in a small accident, but there was barely enough force to move my bumper. That wouldn't have anything to do with it, would it?
Old May 14th, 2010, 1:13 PM
CF Junior Member

the crankshaft sensor is on the crankshaft wich the timing chain connects to the cam so if you have a stretched timing chain and thats throwin a code you probably need to change the timing chain and replace all the gaskets if you want it to run reaaallly good. I did that with my truck and it runs great, it has 240,000 on it.
how many miles are on yours?
Old May 15th, 2010, 8:07 AM
CF Beginner

I just hit 181,000 the other day. How much would something like that cost, assuming I can get it done myself with a buddy helping me? I never feel like paying professionals to do something I can do unless I need to. My buddy knows what to do in most cases.

Also, the other day I started running a P0307 (Cylinder 7 misfire). I just replaced the plugs and wires hoping that would do the trick while I just needed to tune it up anyway, but that didn't do it. Any help there would be appreciated too. Thanks!
Old May 16th, 2010, 11:27 AM
CF Junior Member

a new timing set can range from 40 to 100 bucks whatever you want to get depending on the brand or performance set but isnt real hard to replace, i did it on my truck it wasnt real hard just time consuming, but if its never been replaced i think this might do it if youve done everything else
Old August 13th, 2018, 6:47 PM
CF Beginner

Man im having a similar problem on a 97 Chevrolet C3500 flatbed. My Truck was running fine, check engine light came on but truck still running fine no issues in performance. Two days later, truck ran fine first half of the day, killed it, went inside for bout 20 minutes came back out to leave & truck was hard to start, would rough idle for a few seconds & die. Ran OBD2 Scanner got P1345. Replaced camshaft sensor & crankshaft sensor, still no start, replaced fuel pump then realized it was the fuel pump relay...fixed the relay & truck started right up. Ran fine til half way thru the next day then suddenly just died while going down the fwy. So took cap off the distributor & saw it had spun the rotor off, so I put a new rotor on & it started up drove about 10 miles it Backfired (popped) real loud & died AGAIN. So, I bought another new rotor cap, & new plugs & wires, hell even went ahead & bought a new battery...changed those out, was able to finally get it to start up but was a rough start & wouldnt idle on its own, had to keep my foot on the gas petal to keep it from dying. Had it towed to where it sits now & hasnt started back up since I towed it from the fwy. Now, when Im trying to start it it's steadily popping & won't start at all. Anybody have any suggestions on what my next step should be?
Old January 28th, 2019, 6:22 PM
CF Beginner

Default New engine with 1345 code.

Originally Posted by DrummerBoy
So recently I've gotten this P1345 code and my brother-in-law told me just to change the sensor and that should be fine. But money isn't the most abundant and I barely have the $50 for a new sensor. I haven't moved the distributor or anything of the sort, so I was hoping if I could get a couple opinions from those of you who know this engine best. The engine is starting to run kinda choppy and I really want to just fix it up a bit.

It's the 5.7 Vortec 350 in a 1996 Z71. Thanks in advance.
hello anyone. New member here. I just put a professionally rebuilt 5.0 liter engine in my 1996 K 1500. I'm getting the 1345 code. I can't see where there is any camshaft position sensor, it's simply not there. I have put a new crank position sensor in it, along with every other sensor on the engine. Have spent more on parts and sensors, then the rebuilt engine cost. Truck starts, but it runs not very well. Don't want to have to take it to the dealer.

Quick Reply: P1345 Code, cam/crankshaft positioning sensor timing off.