Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old August 10th, 2015, 7:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

P1345 Code, cam/crankshaft positioning sensor timing off.

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2019, 2:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck1975
hello anyone. New member here. I just put a professionally rebuilt 5.0 liter engine in my 1996 K 1500. I'm getting the 1345 code. I can't see where there is any camshaft position sensor, it's simply not there. I have put a new crank position sensor in it, along with every other sensor on the engine. Have spent more on parts and sensors, then the rebuilt engine cost. Truck starts, but it runs not very well. Don't want to have to take it to the dealer.
@Chuck1975 the camshaft sensor is in the distributor. I have a freshly rebuilt 350 in my 97 C1500, and I’m getting that code too. So for now I’m kind ruling out that it may be any of the timing chain components, considering that it was professionally rebuilt. I need a new distributor anyway so I’m gonna put a new one in along with a new crankshaft sensor and see if that code clears after that.
Following any progress you make with your 96.
Old February 12th, 2019, 4:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Montana Bass

@Chuck1975 the camshaft sensor is in the distributor. I have a freshly rebuilt 350 in my 97 C1500, and I’m getting that code too. So for now I’m kind ruling out that it may be any of the timing chain components, considering that it was professionally rebuilt. I need a new distributor anyway so I’m gonna put a new one in along with a new crankshaft sensor and see if that code clears after that.
Following any progress you make with your 96.
1345 code went away, briefly. Now I get 0 3 0 7, engine misfire on cylinder 7. Don't know if it's a bad injector or pop it. The spark plug looks as if it's brand new, has not got any carbon or black on it from gasoline being in the fuel-Air mix and firing. Forgot to check the compression, while I had that spark plug out. Maybe I tightened one lifter down too far, and one valve is not closing. Just hate the thought of all the labor, to disassemble the intake again.
Old February 12th, 2019, 5:05 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chuck1975
1345 code went away, briefly. Now I get 0 3 0 7, engine misfire on cylinder 7. Don't know if it's a bad injector or pop it. The spark plug looks as if it's brand new, has not got any carbon or black on it from gasoline being in the fuel-Air mix and firing. Forgot to check the compression, while I had that spark plug out. Maybe I tightened one lifter down too far, and one valve is not closing. Just hate the thought of all the labor, to disassemble the intake again.
Those spider units are bad about getting stopped up with carbon deposits. There is a MPFI unit you can buy that is a direct swap from the stock unit, it’s electronically controlled instead of mechanically. But if your not trying to spend any money, you may can just clean the stock unit yourself. I’ve never looked into how to properly clean them but I bet that would help
Old May 27th, 2019, 9:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default P1345

Originally Posted by billycooper82
Man im having a similar problem on a 97 Chevrolet C3500 flatbed. My Truck was running fine, check engine light came on but truck still running fine no issues in performance. Two days later, truck ran fine first half of the day, killed it, went inside for bout 20 minutes came back out to leave & truck was hard to start, would rough idle for a few seconds & die. Ran OBD2 Scanner got P1345. Replaced camshaft sensor & crankshaft sensor, still no start, replaced fuel pump then realized it was the fuel pump relay...fixed the relay & truck started right up. Ran fine til half way thru the next day then suddenly just died while going down the fwy. So took cap off the distributor & saw it had spun the rotor off, so I put a new rotor on & it started up drove about 10 miles it Backfired (popped) real loud & died AGAIN. So, I bought another new rotor cap, & new plugs & wires, hell even went ahead & bought a new battery...changed those out, was able to finally get it to start up but was a rough start & wouldnt idle on its own, had to keep my foot on the gas petal to keep it from dying. Had it towed to where it sits now & hasnt started back up since I towed it from the fwy. Now, when Im trying to start it it's steadily popping & won't start at all. Anybody have any suggestions on what my next step should be?
Having similar problem. Timing was +30. Pulled distributor up enough to dial back the rotor clockwise one tooth. Timing is still +26. Can believe that only changed 4 degrees. Thinking there must be more to it. I welcome any ideas. Thanks
Old August 10th, 2021, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by BobbyD1970
Having similar problem. Timing was +30. Pulled distributor up enough to dial back the rotor clockwise one tooth. Timing is still +26. Can believe that only changed 4 degrees. Thinking there must be more to it. I welcome any ideas. Thanks

Did you ever figure this problem out? I am having the same problem with my truck. Recently did lots of work on it myself including many sensors and a distributor and timing chain. I have had the distributor out multiple times trying to move it a tooth over back and forth and no matter what I do or how I turn it, it reads anywhere from -16 to -30 degrees. Does not make much sense but when I move it around it runs better in different spots making me think that somehow the computer is not reading the timing correctly which results in it trying to auto adjust and run terrible. In order for me to be able to run it I have to unplug the maf sensor because it wants to stall out with this much timing retard. I can watch the live data of the maf and it reads good as well as the map. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks
Old October 24th, 2023, 10:35 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by billycooper82
Man im having a similar problem on a 97 Chevrolet C3500 flatbed. My Truck was running fine, check engine light came on but truck still running fine no issues in performance. Two days later, truck ran fine first half of the day, killed it, went inside for bout 20 minutes came back out to leave & truck was hard to start, would rough idle for a few seconds & die. Ran OBD2 Scanner got P1345. Replaced camshaft sensor & crankshaft sensor, still no start, replaced fuel pump then realized it was the fuel pump relay...fixed the relay & truck started right up. Ran fine til half way thru the next day then suddenly just died while going down the fwy. So took cap off the distributor & saw it had spun the rotor off, so I put a new rotor on & it started up drove about 10 miles it Backfired (popped) real loud & died AGAIN. So, I bought another new rotor cap, & new plugs & wires, hell even went ahead & bought a new battery...changed those out, was able to finally get it to start up but was a rough start & wouldnt idle on its own, had to keep my foot on the gas petal to keep it from dying. Had it towed to where it sits now & hasnt started back up since I towed it from the fwy. Now, when Im trying to start it it's steadily popping & won't start at all. Anybody have any suggestions on what my next step should be?
I had a similar problem on my motorhome P37 Chevy chassis with 7.4L. Ended up replacing the distributor. May have been able to reset it. Currently had a ICM failure advanced timing issue that burnt the cap. Distributor was off 2 teeth according to the mechanic but the distributor istelf still good.
Old October 24th, 2023, 5:23 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by m.elliott63
I had a similar problem on my motorhome P37 Chevy chassis with 7.4L. Ended up replacing the distributor. May have been able to reset it. Currently had a ICM failure advanced timing issue that burnt the cap. Distributor was off 2 teeth according to the mechanic but the distributor istelf still good.
All of these problems sound very familiar. I ended up replacing the distributor. However unless you have diagnostic equipment or the proper software for a laptop, you will not be able to set the timing. So your best bet might be to take it to local mechanic with proper diagnostic equipment.
Old October 24th, 2023, 5:42 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by BobbyD1970
All of these problems sound very familiar. I ended up replacing the distributor. However unless you have diagnostic equipment or the proper software for a laptop, you will not be able to set the timing. So your best bet might be to take it to local mechanic with proper diagnostic equipment.
Agreed! I didn't have a scanner that would read live data. Needs to have the cam retard at 0 +/-2 degrees.
Old February 13th, 2024, 1:19 AM
CF Beginner

I have the same issue. I cannot get the cam to synch up.

i got as low as -7 degrees with some farmer fudging of the hold down bolt, but it’s simply not far enough.

one tooth forward don’t start, one tooth back and it won’t start.

im leaning towards a PCM failure in the cam crank synching, but never saw this before on the vortec which does not have any distributor adjustments.

new chain and gears newer distributor, new sensors.
Old February 13th, 2024, 7:01 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by FEandGoingBroke
I have the same issue. I cannot get the cam to synch up.

i got as low as -7 degrees with some farmer fudging of the hold down bolt, but it’s simply not far enough.

one tooth forward don’t start, one tooth back and it won’t start.

im leaning towards a PCM failure in the cam crank synching, but never saw this before on the vortec which does not have any distributor adjustments.

new chain and gears newer distributor, new sensors.
The cam setting is supposed to be +2 to -2 as far as I have read. I have a "rebuilt" ECM but am waiting for warmer weather to install it. Have you replaced the distributor? That is what I finally had to do to get things semi right. Best of luck.

Quick Reply: P1345 Code, cam/crankshaft positioning sensor timing off.