Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Planning 2 buy sliverado

Search this Thread

Old September 20th, 2006, 3:59 AM
WSF
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning 2 buy sliverado

Im workin 2 buy a silverado truck in abt 6mnths yet im not confident abt chosing one it cuz i never owned or experienced any trucks b4. Ill be using this truck as a weekend onroad driver only... Basically Im lookin 4 a silverado (avg $8000) w da followin specs: 4x4, 5.3 V8 (Everybody is tellin 2 go 4 dat engine), extnd cab or single cab (w out a center console, cuz its a waste id rather go 4 da bench seat). Yet which one is more preferable on such truck a manual tran. or an auto is much bettr?

Wht abt da truck class? many tell me dat da light duty models got fragile chassis n axles 4 a truck just like those new hummers? is dat true? they say dat i should go 4 da 1500 class cuz it got thougher axles, chassis mods etc etc.. im really confused here???
Old September 20th, 2006, 4:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Planning 2 buy sliverado

ok, i got a 94' silverado 1500 with an ext. cab and a standard bed, with a 4.3 v6. personally, i like the extended cab better cuz you are able to move the front seat back farther and get more leg room. as far as deciding on a light duty pickup ot full size, it just depends on what kind of towing you are gonna do or what kind of power you want. light duties are smaller (which means less room in the cab) and they don't have as much ***** off the line. although personally, i would probably go with a full size (1500) cuz i used to drive a ford ranger (which is a light duty truck) and i like having the extra space in the full size. as far as engine size, it just depends on what kind of power you want. my truck has a v6 and it gives me all the power i need for the towing i do. or i guess if you wanna race then definitelty go with the v8. i guess another thing too about the engine size, one thing i like about my v6 is that it gets better fuel economy than v8's.

i hope that helps you out with diciding what you want in a truck.
Old September 20th, 2006, 4:42 AM
CF Beginner

oh also, i would probably go with an automatic. i got a friend that has a manual tranny pickup and he says that the manual bugs him and pisses him off all the time. and if you are only gonna drive your truck on the road and no off roading, then you won't need a 4x4. a 2 wheel drive will do you fine.
Old September 20th, 2006, 10:32 PM
CF Beginner

If your not going offroad and live in a place where you don't get regular snow an ice, go for a 2wd with the 5.3 liter. Ext. cab vs. regular cab depends on your space needs and how much traveling you are doing. Go to the lots and set in a few to get a feel for what's comfortable. If ya live in the city or do alot of city driving, go for the automatic. I didn't mind my manual when driving in the country, but in the city it gets old real fast.

If you don't need lots of haulin' capacity, you might check out the Colorado . They have plenty of go without drainin' the petrol too bad.

----------
'95 Z-71, 350, HD manual, Jacobs, Borla, Dynomax Superconverter, KN
ChevyBlues
Old September 21st, 2006, 7:46 AM
WSF
CF Beginner

Thnx 4 da info guys.. Basically im not too concerned abt fuel economy cuz ill be using it as a weekend car n i wont be doin any towing but i decided 2 buy a truck cuz i prefer it better than any SUV. Most Silverados n Sierras in da UAE come w a 5.3 V8 n 4x4.. i couldnt find any 2WD versions or any smaller engines.. this also really narrows my choices