Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-sierra-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   please help ... i need to get to work (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-sierra-fullsize-pick-ups-21/please-help-i-need-get-work-45064/)

herb farmer September 1st, 2011 4:36 PM

please help ... i need to get to work

ok so here it is . i have a 95 chevy k1500 350 4x4. i lost my only key at work. I asked a neighbor what i could do and they showed me how they drilled there ignition lock cylinder out and replaced it. they offered to do it for me so i let them. they drilled out the cylinder and did damage to that part on the column. i got a replacement cylinder and figured out how to get it so that the dash lights all come on, the starter solenoid tries to fire the starter but the motor wont turn over. The motor can be turned by hand and i took the starter off and tested it. I called the GM dealer and they say there is no security system that would "lock the motor". but it sure seems like it. been working on it since Tuesday and my boss is getting ticked please help me. and it is fine to laugh .. :eek:

kevinkpk September 1st, 2011 4:52 PM

You prbably screwed up the anti-theft stuff by "drilling it out" good luck

EinST September 1st, 2011 6:05 PM

Originally Posted by herb farmer (Post 191207)
ok so here it is . i have a 95 chevy k1500 350 4x4. i lost my only key at work. I asked a neighbor what i could do and they showed me how they drilled there ignition lock cylinder out and replaced it. they offered to do it for me so i let them. they drilled out the cylinder and did damage to that part on the column. i got a replacement cylinder and figured out how to get it so that the dash lights all come on, the starter solenoid tries to fire the starter but the motor wont turn over. The motor can be turned by hand and i took the starter off and tested it. I called the GM dealer and they say there is no security system that would "lock the motor". but it sure seems like it. been working on it since Tuesday and my boss is getting ticked please help me. and it is fine to laugh .. :eek:

Welcome to the forum.:) What the dealership folks said is correct. If the starter solenoid sounds multiple clicks, the battery may be drained. If it makes a single click and the starter motor sounds as if it's hung up, check the battery level and the connections between the battery and starter, including the ground to the engine block.

herb farmer September 1st, 2011 6:25 PM

Originally Posted by EinST (Post 191212)
Welcome to the forum.:) What the dealership folks said is correct. If the starter solenoid sounds multiple clicks, the battery may be drained. If it makes a single click and the starter motor sounds as if it's hung up, check the battery level and the connections between the battery and starter, including the ground to the engine block.

Thanks for the welcome. the Solenoid makes only 1 click with the turn of the key then silence. I checked the ground, connections on starter and tried a different battery that i know is good. Anything else to try? Short of c4 ill try anything. thanks again

herb farmer September 1st, 2011 6:27 PM

Originally Posted by kevinkpk (Post 191208)
You prbably screwed up the anti-theft stuff by "drilling it out" good luck

"Good Luck" ... ahhhhhh ... runs out and slams head in hood ... DANG DRILLING

EinST September 1st, 2011 6:53 PM

If it makes a single click and doesn't sound like the pinion gear is engaging, the ignition switch may not be supplying enough current to the starter solenoid. Or, any number of things could be going on with a vehicle that old, what with drilling and all. You could try connecting a fused jumper wire to the battery positive terminal and another jumper wire to the starter solenoid terminal. Then, carefully bring the ends of the wires together to energize the starter solenoid to see if the engine will then crank. Or, you may want to consider towing it in for service. And, this is my turn to say "good luck."

kevinkpk September 1st, 2011 6:54 PM

Try jump starting it

frankschev September 1st, 2011 7:14 PM

1995 Did have a chip in the key if I remember right, you can tell if there is a plus/minus sign on the sides of the key. basically, the truck thought that you were stealing it and it gave you the finger

herb farmer September 1st, 2011 7:37 PM

Originally Posted by EinST (Post 191227)
If it makes a single click and doesn't sound like the pinion gear is engaging, the ignition switch may not be supplying enough current to the starter solenoid. Or, any number of things could be going on with a vehicle that old, what with drilling and all. You could try connecting a fused jumper wire to the battery positive terminal and another jumper wire to the starter solenoid terminal. Then, carefully bring the ends of the wires together to energize the starter solenoid to see if the engine will then crank. Or, you may want to consider towing it in for service. And, this is my turn to say "good luck."

I tried a direct hot wire to the solenoid to engage the starter and i got the same 1 hard click. I live 40 minutes up on the Continental Divide from town in Montana and trusted the neighbor . :D

herb farmer September 1st, 2011 7:41 PM

Originally Posted by frankschev (Post 191229)
1995 Did have a chip in the key if I remember right, you can tell if there is a plus/minus sign on the sides of the key. basically, the truck thought that you were stealing it and it gave you the finger

old trucks giving me more then the finger; She about to get me fired. The dealer says there is no chip in the key.