Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

PO171 and PO174 on 07 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2010, 10:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PO171 and PO174 on 07 Silverado

Hey guys, im new here, So i hope this is the right place for this question.

I have a 2007 4.8 V8 Silverado WT (new bodystyle)

I've notice my truck hasn't been running right. It idle's very poorly, to the point it will die as soon as you put it in drive. (only happens a couple of times). Once you get on the road it seems to run just fine. Most of the problem occurs when Im driving under 20-30 mph, it hesitate and sputters when I try to give it gas. It also jerks very hard when shifting from 1st to 2nd.
I am bout to take it to the dealer because it still has warranty left on it, but I would like to get some infromation where I can check and see if I can identify the problem so they dont give me the run-around.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys!!
Old August 22nd, 2010, 10:50 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P0171 means that bank1 is running lean, this could be caused by a dirty or faulty MAF sensor if the dealer cleans it, it could fix it, if it doesnt, the maf may need to be replaced, or there is a vacum leak
Old August 22nd, 2010, 5:52 PM
CF Beginner

yea codes mean System to lean Bank 1 and 2.
I took and clean the MAF, but it didn't look bad.

Check all PVC hoses, they look fine. (if it was the correct hoses I was checking)
Are the vacum hoses real small and made of thick like plastic?
Old August 22nd, 2010, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

forgot to add, I only have 33,000 miles on the truck.

Is the fuel pump and fuel filter located in the gas tank now?
Old August 22nd, 2010, 6:08 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pretty sure it is in-line, somebody here might know
Old August 22nd, 2010, 8:12 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

You might also check with your local dealer as portion of the fuel system are covered by the 5yr 100k mile warranty

Assembly

The fuel sender assembly consists of the following major components:

• The fuel level sensor

• The fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor

• The fuel tank fuel pump module

• The fuel strainer

• The fuel filter

Fuel Level Sensor
The fuel level sensor consists of a float, a wire float arm, and a ceramic resistor cord. The position of the float arm indicates the fuel level. The fuel level sensor contains a variable resistor, which changes resistance in correspondence to the amount of fuel in the fuel tank. The powertrain control module (PCM) sends the fuel level information via the class 2 circuit to the instrument panel cluster (IPC). This information is used for the instrument panel (I/P) fuel gage and the low fuel warning indicator, if applicable. The PCM also monitors the fuel level input for various diagnostics.

Fuel Pump
The fuel pump is mounted in the fuel sender assembly reservoir. The fuel pump is an electric high pressure pump. Fuel is pumped to the fuel rail at a specified flow and pressure. The fuel pump delivers a constant flow of fuel to the engine during low fuel conditions and aggressive vehicle maneuvers. The powertrain control module (PCM) controls the electric fuel pump operation through a fuel pump relay. The fuel pump flex pipe acts to dampen the fuel pulses and noise generated by the fuel pump.

Fuel Strainer
The fuel strainer attaches to the lower end of the fuel sender. The fuel strainer is made of woven plastic. The functions of the fuel strainer are to filter contaminants and to wick fuel. Fuel stoppage at this point indicates that the fuel tank contains an abnormal amount of sediment.

Fuel Filter
The fuel filter is contained in the fuel sender assembly inside the fuel tank. The paper filter element of the fuel filter traps particles in the fuel that may damage the fuel injection system. The fuel filter housing is made to withstand maximum fuel system pressure, exposure to fuel additives, and changes in temperature. There is no service interval for fuel filter replacement.