Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

PO446 Fail Code & Missing Part On Front-End Suspension

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2009, 3:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PO446 Fail Code & Missing Part On Front-End Suspension

I'm new to this forum. I own a 2000 Silverado Z71 half ton with extended cab with ~155K miles. I have a couple of problems.
First of all, my Service Engine Soon light stays lit constantly. My inspection went out 01/09, but I didn't even bother taking it to get it inspected till I get the light to go off. I even disconnected the battery cables for 1/2 hour but the light immediately came on when I started the vehicle after reconnecting the cables. Does anyone know how to reset the fail code? I figured I'd try to clear the code and get the truck inspected, then try to fix the Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit as looking at other threads, this one looks like a doozy for a non-mechanic type like myself to resolve. Any ideas would be extremely helpful.
Second problem. In the process of looking under my truck for shredded cables, etc. that might be contributing to my PO446 fail code, I found a missing part that looks pretty important, although from looking at one of the pictures, it looks pretty evident this part has been missing a long time and I've never noticed any problem. I have attached several pictures to try to show the missing part. Does anyone know what this part is called, how hard it might be for me to get it (either new or from junk yard), and how hard would it be to install (torque specs, etc)? See below for explanation of pictures.

#1 - Good picture of part that is present on the other side, it is the vertical piece that parallels the tires edge.

#2 - Picture of the other side showing the part that is missing

#3 - Closeup of where missing part should be mounted on top

#4 - Closeup of where missing part should be mounted to bottom, this picture seems to indicate part has been missing for awhile.
Attached Thumbnails PO446 Fail Code & Missing Part On Front-End Suspension-1-other-side-showing-where-part-should-.jpg   PO446 Fail Code & Missing Part On Front-End Suspension-2-shows-part-missing.jpg   PO446 Fail Code & Missing Part On Front-End Suspension-3-closeup-where-missing-part-attaches-top.jpg   PO446 Fail Code & Missing Part On Front-End Suspension-4-closeup-where-missing-part-attaches-bottom.jpg  
Old February 6th, 2009, 5:02 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

the missing part is the end link for your sway bar, any local performance store will carry it or you can pick one up at your local dealer.
You should replace the bushings on the other side as well so they are matched.

you should have been able to feel the sloppiness in handling when it went missing, once you get it back in the truck will handled so much better.
as for the evap code you will more then likely have to fix it before the inspection, when they do the inspection they will connect up to the computer and it will tell them the same code and that I am pretty sure is part of what has to pass for the inspection.

Last edited by in2pro; February 6th, 2009 at 5:08 PM.
Old February 6th, 2009, 5:12 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by in2pro
the missing part is the end link for your sway bar, any local performance store will carry it or you can pick one up at your local dealer.
You should replace the bushings on the other side as well so they are matched.

you should have been able to feel the sloppiness in handling when it went missing, once you get it back in the truck will handled so much better.
as for the evap code you will more then likely have to fix it before the inspection, when they do the inspection they will connect up to the computer and it will tell them the same code and that I am pretty sure is part of what has to pass for the inspection.
Thanks. I don't guess Auto Zone would qualify as a performance store. Do you have any suggestions of which ones to go to? I'm surprised that with this part missing I don't detect any handling issues. I take curves at 85 mph and it handles like a dream. I probably won't do that anymore till I get it fixed though. Is it pretty easy to just put those parts on and torque 'em down real good, or is it one of those kinds of deals where I have to compress two parts together so I can put another part on (i.e. coil springs)?