Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   Power steering only turning right, none to left (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/power-steering-only-turning-right-none-left-31858/)

tyer50 April 2nd, 2010 4:00 PM

Power steering only turning right, none to left

Has anyone else had this issue with the power steering.

My 2005 Z71 does not have power assist to the left, only right. And when steering left it now whines like it would normally when you hit the steering stops.

Is a gear box and pump replacement going to fix this?

Should I try putting new seals in the pump or tearing down the gear box?

Thanks,
Travis

MDTAHOE April 2nd, 2010 8:14 PM

The only thing that can effect steering to one side is the box. Nothing changes in the pump as you steer, it pump all the time no matter where the wheels are.

tyer50 April 2nd, 2010 8:48 PM

Should I just replace the gear box?
I was going to try and clean everything up, thinking maybe a port in the box might be clogged.

Has anyone tried rebuilding a recirculating ball gear box?

Thanks for the help,

Travis

MDTAHOE April 2nd, 2010 10:34 PM

Replace it with a remanufactured unit.

UH60sSuck April 3rd, 2010 2:29 AM

Has anyone ever adjusted them?

tyer50 April 3rd, 2010 2:46 PM

Working on replacing the gear box with re-manufactured unit.

Will post outcome and any issues with replacement.

So far the pitman arm to relay rod is kickin my a$$.

Thanks for the replies.

Travis

tyer50 April 4th, 2010 12:13 AM

Busted off the relay rod to pitman arm with a pickle fork, do not even try using a ball joint/pitman puller. The pickle fork only took a few good hits to knock it looose. The gear box came off easily after loosening the 3 bolts with breaker bar and cheater pipe. The pitman arm to the gear was the real adventure though. My neighbor helped get it off with a puller/breaker bar/2' pipe/flame.

I'm just about ready to go back in with new gear, but the pitman arm to gear box is pretty tough. I used a big crescent and a pipe but my little 4.5" Wilton vise is ready to pop off my work bench. I C clamped it for safety, but it is still flexing an awful lot when I put my weight on the cheater pipe to tighten the pitman arm nut.

I'm not sure I've made up enough of the spline into the pitman arm yet... still some spline showing between the pitman arm and the gear box.

It's late so I'll post again after I make some more progress.

Thanks,
Travis

tyer50 April 5th, 2010 1:39 PM

Bingo!

Gear box installed! Problem solved.

I purged the system til clear fluid ran from the return hose.

Steering is better now then I ever remember it.

A little bit of noise now and then, must have a little air still in system.

Belt is squeaking a little though, maybe the pump or the belt. I'll investigate today with a stethoscope.

Hopefully it keeps turning fine. Will let you know if it doesn't.

Thanks,
Travis

tyer50 April 10th, 2010 12:32 PM

The belt was squeeking because I did not have the power steering pulley all the way back on.

A-OK now... no problems with new gear.

imstilllit December 22nd, 2021 4:06 PM

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE (Post 139429)
The only thing that can effect steering to one side is the box. Nothing changes in the pump as you steer, it pump all the time no matter where the wheels are.

would an 02 suburban steering box fit an 04 Tahoe