Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 28th, 2015, 2:51 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

problem with fuel pump relay

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2012, 3:28 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 silver

What fusible link was bad and how did he take it off my silverado starts but when i turn it off it wont start and i cant hear the pump. any suggestions

thank you much for the help
Old April 15th, 2014, 8:33 AM
CF Beginner

Default Fuel Pump Relay?

I have a 2004 Chevy Cheyenne Z71 4wd extended cab V8.

Started it yesterday afternoon and it was idling rough. Felt like it wanted to shut off.
Started out, drove 200 miles straight, no problems. When I slowed it was still idling rough.
Got home, shut it off and I heard something still running, loud buzzing coming from the middle of the truck, near the transmission. I could feel the buzzing when I touched the running boards it was that loud. Started it up and shut it off several times, still did it. Started just fine everytime besides still idling rough.
I had to unhook the battery to get it to stop. After an hour or so, hooked the battery back up and it continued.

To my knowledge the only thing in the center of the vehicle that would run like that would be the fuel pump relay?? Fuel pump itself? That's why through idling?
It ran just fine at higher speeds. Just when I would stop at a light or something like that, did it run real rough.

Any ideas?

Bill
Old April 21st, 2015, 8:35 AM
CF Beginner

Default i have the same problem??????

Originally Posted by fresno99
I have the same problem with 1997 chevy 350 pickup. Fuel relay burnt around one prong, very hot, fuel pump won't run. I can change relay and the pump will run again. I can reuse the hot relay after it cools down. Any soluitions? Thanks,

I'm having the same problem my control module is kinda burnt where the fuel pump switch goes as well. ?
Old June 26th, 2021, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default Which wire to connect to

Originally Posted by brerobx
I have a 1997 Chevy 1500 pickup, 4wd, 5-speed manual w/ a 305. About two months ago, the truck wouldn't start, and I figured out that the fuel pump wasn't turning on. When I opened the relay box, I noticed that the plastic casing fuel pump relay, as well as the plastic on the relay box itself, showed signs of heat damage at one of the connectors. I bent the prong so that it would make contact, and the truck started up fine and ran for two months with no problems. Yesterday, same problem. Fuel pump wouldn't turn on. I replaced the relay, and it still only worked intermittantly, and the engine had no spark. I tried everything, and finally what I found to work was hot wiring the positive terminal of the battery directly into the ignition coil. Once the engine was running, I disconnected the wire from the battery terminal and the truck ran with no problems. Today, it died on the way to work. I noticed that the relay was extremely hot. Once it cooled, the truck would start but the engine would soon die and the fuel pump would not turn on. After sitting for a few minutes, it will start again, but will die pretty quickly. Any ideas?
On the coil wire . Do you leave the wires connected to coil and distributor? And there is 4 wires on the coil. 2 small ones and 2 big one both pink and white which one do I connect to from the battery straight? Please help!!! Thanks
Old June 26th, 2021, 4:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default Stumped Please Help??????

The way our truck is acting the voltage reads nothing on it when you turn key on also there is no signal when I try signal switch. Also you can here fuel pump relay click sometimes. It will crank but fuel pump want kick on I can jump it over at fuel panel and it will kick on but when I try to start it want fire up. Like yesterday I replaced the signal switch. Then after I had it all put back together I hooked battery back up and cranked it and it fired right up. I tried it 2 more times and it fired right up Then nothing worked again. Could someone please help me with this issues. I have a feeling it's the ignition switch not the ignition cylinder. I have replaced the ignition coil, distributor cap, rotor button, ICM, fuel pump relays both. What else could this be but the ignition switch with the wires under steering column. Can someone give me some insite on this.