Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Programmers for towing 4.8L

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2010, 4:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programmers for towing 4.8L

Hello Guys, I am sure there a 1000 threads on this topic, but I am curious for a honest answer, is it worth the money to add a programmer to my 2007 chevy 4x4 crew cab. It has a 4.8L that I never wanted but the truck was priced right and couldnt pass up this deal, it was being lossed by a family member so I got it for cheap , anyways I now the answer is too buy a 6.0l But it isnt in the cards so, I tow a camper that weights about 4800lbs and it tows it ok, just like to inprove it anybody use any programmers that show a improvement and if so which one is warrented the moneu spent. thanks
Old May 11th, 2010, 6:41 PM
CF Active Member

I had one and have always had one. they do work I don't know how much of a difference you will feel. most programmers have web sites that will tell how much power you will get. One of the reasons I like them is to take off the limters. you could also to things like a cold air intake. I have always used hypertech.
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look into a custom tune by blackbear. google blackbear performance. they are just as pricey as programmers.
Old May 12th, 2010, 8:13 AM
CF Active Member

Actually blackbear ends up being cheaper than a handheld and only about 1000x better. Most programmers cannot address Torque management which is the key to killing GM's power.

Ive owned two hypertechs in the past, they are complete garbage. my blackbear tune produced better results that could also be felt.
Old May 14th, 2010, 7:38 AM
CF Beginner

Default Programmer

I have a '09 silverado ext cab 4x4 with the 5.3L. I tow a camper that laoded is about 5000 lbs and last summer I thought it towed nice, but with everyone else I camp with having deisels, it just wasn't doing what I wanted. I purchased a Bullydog Tripledog GT about a month ago and it was the best money I have spent on this truck so far. I have not towed with this yet (memorial day weekend will be the first trial) but normal driving conditions I have tried been switching between the 3 modes (stock, regular tune, and performance). For regular driving Im using regular tune and I noticed my fuel economy increase between 1 to 1 1/2 mpg. In performance mode I had noticed much quicker shifts, throttle response, and pull away from my buddy's 09 silverdo pretty well. I am waiting to see if I notice better response when trailer but so far its well worth the money. I would definatly recommend this tuner.
Old February 11th, 2012, 4:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default locked edge programmer

i just bought a edge programmer for my 2008 silverado 4.8l and the guy that i bought it from never return his vehicle to stock so it locked the programmer does anybody know the code or how to unlock the programmer?
Old February 11th, 2012, 6:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only way to unlock it would be to take the tune off his truck
Old February 11th, 2012, 7:18 PM
CF Beginner

that really sucks cause he lives across the country
Old February 11th, 2012, 9:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol that's how it was with my old programmer. I'd call edge and see what they say. If that's the case, sell it or scrap it. Won't do anything for you anyways
Old February 11th, 2012, 9:57 PM
CF Junior Member

If you don't mind me asking, what electric fan did you install, what size and how much did the entire part cost you.? Did you install the electric or did you pay someone..How many hours will it take.
thanks
S

Quick Reply: Programmers for towing 4.8L