Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Quit while towing now backfiring through the intake

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2014, 9:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quit while towing now backfiring through the intake

Greetings! I know this is my first post but I have not needed any assistance with my truck till now. Most issues I have had, a quick Google search would resolve, but this one is a tough one. Here's what went down, Last night my wife was pulling our horse trailer with our 03' 3/4 ton 6.0 home when it lost power and quit. She had just filled it up 20 miles before it laid down. It was gasoline. I did have some fuel pressure at the schraeder valve but it would not even try to start. We towed it home and today I did some checking and found 0 fuel pressure with a gauge. I switched the relays under the hood to verify that wasen't it. No Bueno. Just for giggles I hit her with a bit of starting fluid and it fired for a few turns. I tried it one more time and it made a hell of a back fire through the intake. Then I noticed smoke coming from the intake manifold gasket/injector area. What the heck just happened? Crank sensor? Timing chain? I know the Crank sensor is tied to the fuel pump somehow. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old April 4th, 2014, 10:02 PM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

You have to look at the obvious first. You said there was 0 fuel pressure and starting fluid had it running for a few turns. That points to the fuel pump and that is where you should start.
Old April 5th, 2014, 5:58 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What Oldchevy said,

They'll bellch, heave and snort when ya try to feed 'em thru the gullet. Sure sounds like a fuel pump.

Allan
Old April 5th, 2014, 7:25 AM
CF Beginner

I'll get a fuel pump in it today but what scares me is the smoke around the intake manifold. When she back fired is there any chance it took out the intake gaskets. I thought I read somewhere that these engines have a relief valve built into the intake manifold to prevent this . Thank you for your help.
Old April 5th, 2014, 7:29 PM
CF Beginner

OK, fuel pumps in and she banged right off! While she was down I threw a set of plugs in her. 150xxx on what looked like original fire wires. I used Bosch double Platinum's just cause they were middle of the price range. The idle is so much smoother and acceleration was notably better. Next project is the warped brake rotors.