Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Brakes Heating up bad

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2012, 11:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brakes Heating up bad

I just replaced the shoes on my 95 Chev 2500. Took it for a short drive around my neighbourhood aprox 3 km and when I got back home my left rear brake was smoking and the tire rim was hot to the touch.
Any ideas why its not disengaging?
New shoes, New spring kit no extra pieces. Checked the E-brake cable and its fairly loose.
I spun the adjustable ratchet bolt(sits on the bottom between the shoes) all the way in to let it adjust its self and greased them so they would turn freely.
?Im at a bit of a loss?
I did bleed them but I didnt have anyone to help pump them so I just gravity bled them.
Thanx for any help in advance
Old September 4th, 2012, 5:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a bad wheel cylinder. also, gravity bleeding isn't the most effective way. get a friend to help bleed properly, drive again. if still getting hot, probably will need to replace wheel cylinder.
Old September 4th, 2012, 11:13 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

There are bleeders available so that you can do it yourself. Or use a home made one. Put a hose on bleeder and the other end into a can with brake fluid in it. Pump the pedal a few times and the fluid with air from cylinder goes into the can and when you retract the pedal, fluid only goes back in.
Old September 4th, 2012, 11:18 PM
CF Active Member

either the brakes aren't disengaging due to bad springs or wheel cylinders, or your front brakes aren't bled good enough, probably
Old September 21st, 2012, 5:55 PM
CF Beginner

Hi guys Ive been meaning to get back to you, I hate when a thread goes un-answered.
The problem wasnt within the drum or parts. The problem was in my emergency brake cable. The shoes were worn so bad that the ratchet pin had unscrewed to its max. the truck had sat for some time and the ebrake cable had siezed up in its tubing and I couldnt adjust it from under the carriage so I just disconnected it from the plate inside the drum. I have a new cable on order and will be installed soon.
Until then Ill refrain from parking on a hill. lucky I live on the prairies and not San Francisco
Old September 21st, 2012, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

OH! I forgot... Thanx for the suggestions