Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   Rear speaker removal on 99 Silverado Ext. Cab - Three door (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/rear-speaker-removal-99-silverado-ext-cab-three-door-56957/)

jd2350 March 10th, 2013 8:14 PM

Rear speaker removal on 99 Silverado Ext. Cab - Three door

How do you get to the driver side rear speaker on a 99 silverado ext. cab, three door?

Fishinfooleric10@aol.com March 11th, 2013 9:57 AM

take screw out of handle and then just pop off the plastic. Don't worry you will not break it. Just take screw out of handle( I almost positive that's the only one) but just look to make sure and then pop it off. Also, check out you tube

jd2350 March 13th, 2013 8:35 PM

Originally Posted by Fishinfooleric10@aol.com (Post 242858)
take screw out of handle and then just pop off the plastic. Don't worry you will not break it. Just take screw out of handle( I almost positive that's the only one) but just look to make sure and then pop it off. Also, check out you tube

Thanks, but this is a three door extended cab.

Fishinfooleric10@aol.com March 14th, 2013 3:02 PM

yep, i have a 99 extended cab 3rd door and that is how you take it off, I promise. I have done it multiple times

12-Volt-Guy August 9th, 2016 9:28 AM

Originally Posted by Fishinfooleric10@aol.com (Post 243212)
yep, i have a 99 extended cab 3rd door and that is how you take it off, I promise. I have done it multiple times

#1 - Yes, I realize this thread is old, but this is technical. If I found it, others probably will.

#2 - There is no "handle" on the driver's rear side on a 3-door, so not sure what you're referring to. There is only an armrest since there is no door.

#3 - Replacing the left rear speaker can be done a couple of ways. The longer method is recommended if you are not all that dexterous or don't have some of the special tools. This method requires that the back seat be removed so the side panel can be removed. In any case, you need to pop the threshold piece at the base of the driver's door off. Simply pry it upwards in about four places and slide it out from under the seat. Pop off the cover holding the seatbelt near the top of the panel. Open the flip-out window. Remove the 7mm screw from the drink holder. Remove the large Torx bolt holding the seatbelt.

LONG METHOD

If you removed the seat, you will probably need to unsnap the panel below the rear window to completely remove the panel. After performing the work above, it should just be help on with clips.

SHORTER METHOD

If you're not removing the back seat and the panel under the window, you will be able to pop the panel loose only from the front of it by the door opening and the top part behind the side window where you removed the large Torx holding the seatbelt. This will give you may four inches or so of space to work in. The factory speaker is easy to remove because it clips in, no screws. Press the plastic piece on the forward part of the 4x6 speaker toward the speaker with a flat screwdriver and pry it outward. The back end of the speaker is hooked in. The difficult part will be putting the new speaker back because you'll need to add screws. I used a cordless screwdriver with a Scosche right-angled attachment. I use 3/4" chisel tipped screws that drill their own holes and use electrical tape to hold them to the Philips bit. As I said, this isn't the easiest thing to do but I prefer it to removing the backseat. In all, it takes me* about an hour to complete that one speaker. All three of the other door speakers can be easily done in less time.

* I have been a professional in mobile installation for over 30 years.