Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Replaced longblock... 1996 5.7L begins to miss badly after it warms up

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2011, 1:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Replaced longblock... 1996 5.7L begins to miss badly after it warms up

New to posting here. But I need some advice / direction. I recently replaced the engine in a 1996 C1500 Chevy P/U. New long block. Replaced the (spider) injectors, plugs, MAP sensor, rotor, Dist Cap, Cam sensor etc. etc. ... When I was all done, I cranked the engine and it ran like a top! Up until it got warm (to temp) then it began to miss. It got worse and worse until it wouldn't run anymore. I got a DTC code of 341 (cam sensor). I let it cool down, checked all connections to the cam sensor, checked the voltage to the sensor and all checked out ok. Once the engine cooled down, it cranked and ran fine again. Hitting on all 8 and running like a sewing machine ...until it reached temp again... then it started the same ole crap. Other than water in the oil prior to the engine replacement, it ran fine and did not do this..... Anyone have a solution?? ....

Thanks,
Old May 22nd, 2011, 10:35 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might have gotten a bad cam sensor. Just cause they are new dont mean they are good.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OLD WRENCH
Might have gotten a bad cam sensor. Just cause they are new dont mean they are good.
Thanks OLD WRENCH. Yeah I thought of that too. I'd already replaced the new cam sensor .... cause as you said I've gotten new parts before that were bad. BUT ... I did manage to find the problem! It turned out to be a bad "CRANK SENSOR"... even though there was never a code for that. The only code that came up was the 341 cam sensor code. But because of the way that it was acting, I knew it had to be something that heat could affect. That left the Crank sensor and or the Coil. Replaced the Crank Sensor and viola!!! FIXED!! ... Thanks for your help pardoner...

G.