Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   Replaced Spider Injector; Truck won't start (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/replaced-spider-injector%3B-truck-wont-start-57924/)

Cornbread9 April 28th, 2013 10:01 PM

Replaced Spider Injector; Truck won't start

Hi, Thanks for your advice in advance.

So I was driving a company truck. It started dumping gas and trying to stall. Limped it to a repair shop on company's dime. Shop installed a fuel filter then broke out the fuel pressure gauge and told me the spider injector was bad. I limped the truck 100 miles home. Slow and steady. Parked the truck for almost a year and offered the company $100 and the now the truck is mine. Truck would still start for two minutes then stall. Leave it a couple days and it would start again. I trailered it home. Got the mpi spider injector from advance auto parts. Installed it and the truck wouldn't start. I took the intake manifold off and installed it again with a new gasket. Truck started for one second and that was it. It turns over well but just won't fire up. Now what in what order?

I checked sensor connections, disconnected battery and charged it.

shamrock246 April 29th, 2013 6:20 AM

Whats the fuel pressure?is the gass real old?

Fishinfooleric10@aol.com April 30th, 2013 4:53 PM

If you haven't already get all that old gas out of there and have checked to make sure fuel pump is working. I just did one on my friends truck and same thing it would fire and run for a minute and die. After a little while of doing this it completely stopped working, so I replaced fuel pump and runs like a charm again. Take gas cap off and while someone turns the key to the on position, not run, listen to see if you can hear the fuel pump priming. If not I believe you have found the problem

Allan In NE April 30th, 2013 5:46 PM

You're assuming the diagnostic shop knew what they were doing....and bought into what they were telling you.

Go back to step one and start the process over as to why it won't start and run.

Allan

Cornbread9 May 1st, 2013 7:59 PM

So I finally got an actron pro fuel injection pump tester (cp7838) from amazon.com for 41.00. Had to shop it. Result of test. When I tested it for the first time after sitting for three days the pressure was 20 PSI. Amazingly the truck started for a few seconds pressure dropped and the truck stalled and the pressure has been at zero since. There is fuel in the lines but no pressure. It is consistent with the trucks behavior since I started it after it sat for the year. Will run a little then stall, wait a couple days and it starts. I don't know how the pressure builds up to twenty and why it won't consistently stay at twenty (even thought it is the wrong pressure). Anyway where does that leave me? Bad fuel pump, bad regulator? I know there is a fuel pump relay in fuse compartment. Can I test the power to the fuel pump? The gas is a year old. Where do you even take old gas. Its over half a tank. And the price of gas...

Fishinfooleric10@aol.com May 2nd, 2013 2:29 PM

Yeah bad gas is your first problem, you can't run that gas. I would drop the tank or pull the bed and get all that gas out of there. Once you do that then you can really tell if the pump is bad. Also, the truck will run with a bad regulator, it will run terrible and be a pain to start but mostly will stay running. I hope you figure your problem and go to last reply i did and check that fuel pump.

MDTAHOE May 2nd, 2013 8:26 PM

The fuel pump does not care if the gas is good or bad too make pressure.. It would not even care if it was water. 20 PSI is far from enough. You need to be 55-60. Make sure there is power to the pump. If the gas does not smell terrible it will probably run off of what is in the tank. Add some dry gas treatment and maybe some fresh gas. After you get a working pump.

Fishinfooleric10@aol.com May 3rd, 2013 1:42 PM

MD Tahoe is right yes doesn't matter that the gas is old as far as pressure is concerned. I would just flush it for good measure and update us if you get the truck running.

Cornbread9 May 4th, 2013 10:28 PM

I jumped out fuel pump relay on pins 30 and 87. It was not the problem. Still no fuel pressure. It did start the first time with a fuel pressure of 40 psi. Ran for a few minutes then went to zero. So it's time for the fuel pump. Got the old rusty bed bolts out pretty easy. Gonna try not to get crushed under there. I've got three tool boxes mounted to bed and pipe racks. The tail light harness looks like it has slack. I keep you posted.

Cornbread9 May 4th, 2013 10:35 PM

I don't know how to pm. If you got one from me it was by accident. The more input the better. Thanks for your help though.