Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Rough ride '98 1500

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2010, 10:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough ride '98 1500

I recently got a '98 GMC Sierra K1500. It's got 16" wheels with 285/75s. I think it might be lifted a little bit, but I really don't know much about trucks.

The ride on it is attrocious. When hitting a small bump it's like there's no flex between the wheels and the body of the truck. Big bumps are obviously even worse. On the highway if there's a small change in pavement height it's as if I went airborne and the wheel jerks to the side a bit.

I was curious if I can mitigate that at all. I know the suspension parts are probably a little worn. The guy before me obviously beat the crap out of the truck. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old October 1st, 2010, 3:52 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the torsion bars are probly cranked up, are the outsides of the tires wearing out fast? if so, then ill bet thats whats going on
Old October 5th, 2010, 10:31 AM
CF Beginner

Did I mention I didn't know anything about trucks? lol. Ok, so it's my understanding that the torsion bar is kind of like a shock or strut on a truck. Also, cranking it up would be the reason why the truck is lifted some right? So, to soften the ride I'd need to lower it. But I like it where it's at... so are there alternate torsion bar kits that offer a lifted height with a decent ride?

And does lifting it affect the rest of the suspension equipment? Thanks!
Old October 6th, 2013, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by emccalment
Did I mention I didn't know anything about trucks? lol. Ok, so it's my understanding that the torsion bar is kind of like a shock or strut on a truck. Also, cranking it up would be the reason why the truck is lifted some right? So, to soften the ride I'd need to lower it. But I like it where it's at... so are there alternate torsion bar kits that offer a lifted height with a decent ride?

And does lifting it affect the rest of the suspension equipment? Thanks!
What you need to do is look into buying different torsion keys so it's not as stressful cranking up the stock ones then buy a diff drop kit so it decreases the angle on things in the front end also making your parts last longer but still allowing you to have a lifted but smoother ride