Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Running Lights/Dash lights not -1993 Chevy Truck

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2009, 11:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Lights/Dash lights not -1993 Chevy Truck

I am having a good run around in circles with the electrical on my 1993 Chevy 1500. I got the heater and radio lights working, put in new negative and positive cables for the battery, and got the under-dash lights working, and the brake-lights, but now my dash and running lights do not work.

Before they worked. I have replaced ALL of the fuses, and the bulbs, and the previous owner turned the wiring into a rats nest of wiring, should I just give up and redo all the wiring in the truck? The windows/locks work too, but the overhead light is out too, replaced bulb. Speakers are not hooked up, and new ones have not arrived, so not sure if they work yet or not.

I am having fun rebuilding this vehicle, and welded the entire exhaust last weekend, so progress is being made, but now I am stuck.

Anywhere I can order an in-depth wiring diagram for the truck?

Also, there is a loud electrical whirring noise, sounds like it is coming from between the bed and cab, any idea what this is, I can not pinpoint it, and yes, I am a complete noob.

Thanks for any help!
Old February 26th, 2009, 10:05 AM
CF Beginner

Default Self-update-Welding/riveting?

Alright, so last week before all the bad weather, I took another hit at the truck. I ripped out two different cd changers and a weird cell-phone antenna, that got rid of the mess, but also showed that the guy had connected all the extra crap by splicing, and putting back together with duck tape!! Wow! Also, after removing all of the crap, my battery isn't drained nightly anymore. Woot!

Put in the new boxed speakers, work great, and sound great, I'm mounting them with grips, so I can remove and place on hood or in window when at the beach.

Right now i'm working on redoing some of the splicing, correctly, and am just going to run new wiring all the way back to the running lights, as well as the chassis that the wires plug into are going to be replaced.

I also pulled out all of the carpeting, and after replacing the driver side floor panel, am going to rhino coat the entire inside, and undercoat the underneath of the cab.

If anyone has any opinion on whether to weld, spot-weld with bondo, or rivet the new floor in, please let me know! We are also going to drop a new bed on the truck. By the time I'm done I think i'm going to have a new truck !!!

Any advice or opinions on how I am doing would be appreciated, as this is my first project vehicle.

Last edited by Big_Jazzer; February 26th, 2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old February 26th, 2009, 7:38 PM
CF Active Member

on the floor i would try to weld it solid small spots at a time all the way around so it dont warp thats what i would do
Old February 27th, 2009, 1:25 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by x1cn18
on the floor i would try to weld it solid small spots at a time all the way around so it dont warp thats what i would do
Thanks, that where my friend and I were leaning toward.