Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Secondary Air Injection (AIR) ???s

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2010, 10:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secondary Air Injection (AIR) ???s

I recently bought a used 2001 Silverado 1500 4x4, and after looking around and cleaning and tidying things up underhood, I noticed a 2 wire pigtail that was unused and dangling where the AIR system would be located. I am now under the assumption that the system was removed but was wondering if there was an RPO or some other form located in the VIN to determine whether my particular vehicle was 100% manufactured with the system in place. I am assuming the factory wouldn't have left the pigtail there on the harness otherwise. I haven't thrown any codes (yet...) and the truck seems to run fine, however I don't want to get to the emissions inspection place and have a code keep me from passing. Any and all help would be much appreciated, things sure have changed in the past 20 years since my last chevy 4x4!
Old November 7th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Its possible the pigtail is there as part of the total harness assembly and the air injection was not installed on your vehicle...
Old November 8th, 2010, 9:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have the same truck 01 silverado z71 and lookin at my AIR system i have the same pigtail wire hangin out and haven't had any problems with it. I don't know what its for honestly but its passed inspection everytime so you should be fine
Old November 8th, 2010, 10:55 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default empty plug

The company dont make a dedicated wiring harness for each vehicle. They make one with all the wires and connectors for whatever might be on a vehicle. If you dont have a particular accesory the plug will be empty.
Old November 8th, 2010, 11:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by country_09
i have the same truck 01 silverado z71 and lookin at my AIR system i have the same pigtail wire hangin out and haven't had any problems with it. I don't know what its for honestly but its passed inspection everytime so you should be fine
Good to know then. I guess I'm going to do some digging in a wiring diagram and try and figure out what that goes to. I just thought it was odd, especially since it doesn't have a cap on then end to protect the plug itself from debris and corrosion.
Old November 9th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah i know what you mean, it just sticks out right passed the other cord which is hooked up so i don't know what it goes to if it goes to anything