Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 22nd, 2015, 6:50 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Print Wikipost

"service 4-wheel drive"

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2016, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Goakley86
Did you have to have it flashed? I got charged 600$ to replace this part on a Tahoe cause they said it needed to be flashed. Not sure what that means. Lol
No flash needed for me. Just plug and play.
Old December 5th, 2016, 9:57 PM
CF Beginner

Sounds good. I'll try that. Thanks for the advice.
Old July 17th, 2017, 5:51 AM
CF Beginner

4 wheel drives automotive has got power in all four wheels at once, unlike the normal vehicles which have power with two wheels. These vehicles do have more traction for wet and icy roads. A 4 wheel drive service for regular maintenance is quite important as your vehicle gets lubrication and inspection of the components of the system.
Old December 28th, 2017, 12:02 AM
CF Beginner

Default Major 4x4 issues

I have a 2000 Silverado 1500 extended cab Z71 and the 4wd doesn't work at all. I started out by changing the actuator on the front diff and nothing. So I changed my push button switch and still nothing. So I carried it to the dealership and they told me to change the transfer case encoder motor so I did and it worked for a little both then quit again. So then I changed the transfer case control module and it worked great for about a day. Then I saw smoke boiling out of the dash as it had fried the brand new module so I put another one in it and it done the same thing. Now I have no power to the module. Anybody with any knowledge of this system please help!!
Old December 28th, 2017, 10:07 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No expert on this but no one mentioned changing the fluid in the transfer case. My owners manual for my 2008 3/4 ton Suburban suggests changing transfer case oil every 50,000 miles.

SD
Old February 24th, 2018, 9:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default The service 4 wheel drive indicator comes on. All lights go out

The service 4 wheel drive light comes on no lights on the indicator switch. If I let the trucks sit for a few hours and then restart it the service 4 wheel drive light is gone and everything's working fine. Sometimes this will go on for months with no problems. Then the service 4 wheel drive light Will Go On. Will driving it with the service 4 wheel drive light on hurt anything? I would think not especially when it's locked in 2 wheel. 2003 Chevy Silverado

Last edited by Ricky Weiner; February 24th, 2018 at 9:43 PM. Reason: Title to long
Old October 6th, 2018, 8:32 PM
CF Beginner

Okay I am now having this issue. Here is what I have done so far. After all fixes battery was disconnect for a minimum of 30 minutes.

1-replaced 4 button 4wd selector switch in dash (AC/DELCO)
2. cleaned the grounds on the frame under the drivers seat
3- replaced Transfer case control module (TCCM) (AC/DELCO)
4- replaced the Encoder motor (AC/DELCO)

Still says "SERVICE 4WD" and it is now not throwing any codes.

Any help would be great.
Old February 8th, 2020, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

Default Did you find and answer?

Originally Posted by CHEVYFAN4LIFE
i am new to this site so forgive me if this has been posted before. i have a 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 the service 4-wheel drive message appears on the message display on my dash. it started a while back being an every once in a while occurrence, the first thing i assumed was to check the fluids and i added what needed to be added. that did not fix my my problem it still came on every once in a while and now the service 4 wheel drive message stays on constantly. it is push button 4 wheel drive. so the problem is when i start my truck sometimes the light beside the neutral display will be red, other times there are no lights indicated at all, and the other times when i start my truck it will be in 4L or 2H...... i know by my research that this is a known problem but i haven't found someone that has the exact same problem i am having. when i start my truck and there are no lights showing on my push button indicator, i don't know if it is in 2 or 4 wheel drive so i turn the truck off and on till lights are showing on the push button indicator, at that time if the light indicates it is in 4 wheel drive i can put in in neutral and push 2H and it changes fine. if my lights are on and i can change it from 2 to 4 wheel drive my switch should be good. it is very confusing and i hope my explanation is easy to understand so i can get some much needed input...... thanks in advanced
I have the same issue. Did you ever figure out what is was?
Old March 29th, 2020, 7:17 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tommyboy7328
I have the same issue and have tried the same fixes with no success. Did you get it fixed?
i have the same problem no lights at 4wd switch and wont do anything stuck in 2wd anyone solve this issue thanks
Old May 31st, 2020, 10:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cuervoloco

Originally Posted by CHEVYFAN4LIFE
i am new to this site so forgive me if this has been posted before. i have a 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 the service 4-wheel drive message appears on the message display on my dash. it started a while back being an every once in a while occurrence, the first thing i assumed was to check the fluids and i added what needed to be added. that did not fix my my problem it still came on every once in a while and now the service 4 wheel drive message stays on constantly. it is push button 4 wheel drive. so the problem is when i start my truck sometimes the light beside the neutral display will be red, other times there are no lights indicated at all, and the other times when i start my truck it will be in 4L or 2H...... i know by my research that this is a known problem but i haven't found someone that has the exact same problem i am having. when i start my truck and there are no lights showing on my push button indicator, i don't know if it is in 2 or 4 wheel drive so i turn the truck off and on till lights are showing on the push button indicator, at that time if the light indicates it is in 4 wheel drive i can put in in neutral and push 2H and it changes fine. if my lights are on and i can change it from 2 to 4 wheel drive my switch should be good. it is very confusing and i hope my explanation is easy to understand so i can get some much needed input...... thanks in advanced
I am having dame issues as well I'm not sure what to d o about it yet
The following users liked this post:
Camron Brewer (July 3rd, 2020)

Quick Reply: "service 4-wheel drive"