Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Shudder/vibration coming to stop

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2011, 4:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shudder/vibration coming to stop

New here and rather than search thru the several hundred threads I'm hoping somebody has experienced this. 2005 full size....when coming to a stop i get a very short duration shudder when almost completely stopped. this lasts only a second or 2 and feels like ABS activation but no indicator light and on dry, smooth pavement, etc. This is not a normal brake vibe, etc....pads/rotors, etc are all good. Other than the ABS thing the only other way I can describe it would be similar to a TCC shudder however no other issues with shifting,etc. My thoughts are leaning toward lock-up solenoid sticking and releasing under a load at last second when stopping (think of not depressing the clutch on a manual when stopping till the engine starts to shudder). Also thought perhaps a trans or motor mount but doesn't happen at any other time

Last edited by docjns1; November 19th, 2011 at 4:33 PM. Reason: typo/phrasing
Old November 19th, 2011, 5:11 PM
CF Beginner

I used to get that with my 2002 GMC , I didnt get a light either but it was my ABS activation, I didnt keep it long after to figure out the fix , sorry this isnt much help.
Old November 19th, 2011, 7:10 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Docjns1,
The problem you are experiencing may be an ABS issue. Best of luck! Keep us posted!

Louis
GM Customer Service

Last edited by MDTAHOE; November 19th, 2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old July 10th, 2012, 11:39 AM
CF Beginner

Was this issue ever resolved? Developed a similar issue recently on 2008. Does not really feel like a brake but willing to look at all possibilities.
Old July 10th, 2012, 6:42 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Instead of the brakes, it could be the lock-up torque convertor not releasing.
Old July 15th, 2012, 9:59 PM
CF Beginner

I have this same issue with my 2005 Silverado 2500HD. Right before it comes to a complete stop it feels like the ABS kicks in and there is a shudder and the stopping distance is extended. I have had this issue ever since the wheel bearings were replaced. Life happened and I never took it back to the shop that did the work and I have just been living with it ever since then. I will have to double check myself but I believe I put the truck in neutral and still had the same issue. I am 99% sure that it is not drive train related. It annoys the hell out of me but I am not sure what to check. Unfortunately vehicle shops around here are sketchy and I have some severe trust issues with the ones I have done business with.
Old July 16th, 2012, 1:36 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unplug ABS and see if it still doing it one plug should disable system
Old July 17th, 2012, 6:37 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Back when I had a 94 Suburban, I had a braking problem. Once, in a light rain, I was standing on the brakes as hard as I could and went right through a red light like I never pressed the brake pedal.

I figured out that the shocks were worn out and the tire traction was questionable. I suspected that the poor traction of the tires was allowing the a lock up on wet roads, and ABS was releasing the brakes to try to correct the braking. The worn shocks were allowing the wheel to bounce too much which contributed to the wheel lock, which the ABS was trying to counteract.

I put new shocks and tires on the truck, and never had the problem again.
Old November 15th, 2020, 10:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok i'm bringing this back from the dead, i have the same issue, 09 suburban LTZ with ~140k, any help is appreciated, to recap- i have a shudder/vibration when coming to a stop, doesnt feel it until i'm almost to a stop, new brakes and rotors and tires but the kind of vibration it is, i dont think its related to either or. any ideas? i looked at torque converter symptoms but its not adding up or matching.
The following users liked this post:
EricB27 (March 21st, 2021)
Old January 25th, 2021, 8:21 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Kris B
ok i'm bringing this back from the dead, i have the same issue, 09 suburban LTZ with ~140k, any help is appreciated, to recap- i have a shudder/vibration when coming to a stop, doesnt feel it until i'm almost to a stop, new brakes and rotors and tires but the kind of vibration it is, i dont think its related to either or. any ideas? i looked at torque converter symptoms but its not adding up or matching.
Kris did you get your issue figured out?

Quick Reply: Shudder/vibration coming to stop