Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   Silverado 1500 Daytime Running Lights/ Park Lights Not working (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/silverado-1500-daytime-running-lights-park-lights-not-working-49763/)

RitualJman April 2nd, 2012 5:51 PM

Silverado 1500 Daytime Running Lights/ Park Lights Not working

Hey guys,

I have a 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500, my daytime running lights/ park lights are not working. I pulled the bulbs out and indeed they were blown, I changed and they are still not working. my fuses are all good, relays are also all good. Is there something I have missed trying to figure out why my daytime running lights/ park lights are not working?

Thanks
RitualJman

cleveland63b April 2nd, 2012 8:07 PM

check if you have power to the sockets and also you may want to do some research I don't remember what years but there was a problem with the DRL bulbs so they used higher voltage bulbs

oldchevy April 3rd, 2012 9:29 AM

I had similar problems with my 99. The DRL's would burn out. I kept replacing them, but I noticed the sockets getting black because they were burning up from the heat. I replaced one of them because it fell apart when removing the bulb and changed to a 4114 bulb and had no more problems. It's a good idea to check for voltage at the socket.

RitualJman April 3rd, 2012 11:05 AM

I will check that, although I am not 100% sure if it is 12V I should be getting at the sockets?

Thanks
RitualJman

96 Junk That Moves April 4th, 2012 4:37 AM

There is a seperate module for the dtrl's check to see if it is working corectly. I believe it's under the dash slose to the parking brake or behind the headlamp switch...

RitualJman April 4th, 2012 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by 96 Junk That Moves (Post 211744)
There is a seperate module for the dtrl's check to see if it is working corectly. I believe it's under the dash slose to the parking brake or behind the headlamp switch...

How do i check the module, what voltage am i looking for coming from it? I've never checked one before.

Thanks
RitualJman

oldchevy April 4th, 2012 4:06 PM

You should have 12 volts at the socket. These are dual element bulbs, so you should have 2 circuits at the socket with each one of them having 12 volts. The relay should also have a 12 volt output.

Markgc1964 March 6th, 2013 10:18 PM

my 2005HD is having the same issue,, i think there is a ambient light sensor somewhere

Chevrolet Customer Service March 7th, 2013 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Markgc1964 (Post 242480)
my 2005HD is having the same issue,, i think there is a ambient light sensor somewhere

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Markgc1964,

You are correct; your vehicle is equipped with a light sensor located on the top of the instrument panel in the defroster grille. Be sure it is not covered, or the system will be on whenever the ignition is on.

Louis
GM Customer Service

westgl June 17th, 2013 8:20 AM

The DRL has a Diode that fails it is under the dash.
Problem is you can check voltage and even though the Diode is bad under a load it can still show voltage but under a load is where the problem exist.

Test light with a load is only good way to test this part

Links

or

Go to a junk yard for $5.00 you can get a used part