Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Silverado long cranking after first start

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2009, 11:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Silverado long cranking after first start

My 99 5.3L Vortec engine requires long crank times after first start and warm. Check engine light is also present. I have been told that it may be the fuel pressure regulator. Is this a good possibility? Where is it located and can a decent back yard mechanic handle the replacement?
Old March 13th, 2009, 5:30 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like the fuel relay has gone bad. When the fuel relay goes bad it doesn't turn on the fuel pump like is suppose to, as a fail safe GM intigrated a back up measure. When the engine builds up enough oil pressure and the computer senses that it has no fuel, it will bypass the fuel relay and kick on the fuel pump. hense, long cranking needed to build prussure to bypass the relay.
Old July 13th, 2011, 1:00 PM
CF Beginner

I had the same truck with the same problem. I put a fuel pressure regulator in it and it fixed it right away. it is on the drivers side of the engine a small little vacume deal with a small hose comming out of the top of it. Held in their with a lil clip. pretty easy to change. If you pull the hose off after trying to start it and fuel runs out that is ur problem.