Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   Sliverado/Tahoe Starting Trouble? (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/sliverado-tahoe-starting-trouble-49067/)

browndogwilson March 1st, 2012 1:33 PM

Sliverado/Tahoe Starting Trouble?

If you happen to be one of the people searching for an answer to why your truck may not start, I have found the answer. When you turn the key and everything lights up but it won't even try to turn over, you aren't alone. I have searched day and night for the answer, but never found one that was conclusive. This one is! First off, don't get a new starter, don't get a new battery, don't check every ground or fuse in the truck. Yeah, I did all of the above.

The problem lies within the security system. After enough time, the system will quit reading the codes on your keys which will cause the system to turn off the fuel system, of engine kill. If your truck has been stranded for days like mine you don't have to tow it. If you bridge the wires on the starter solenoid and have somebody turn the key for you, the truck should start, mine did. You then can take it to the dealership where they will tell you they haven't heard of this happening before, and end up charging you several hundred dollars to replace your security box thing and you should be fine. If you want to fix it yourself for 10 bucks, run a wire to the starter and bridge the wires down there, and on the other end install a plain old button much like the one you push for your fog lights, and you turn the ignition like you normally do, and then press your button and it will override the security and the truck will start.

I guess the reason it happened to my truck is because I had to get new keys made when my 2 year old thought it would be fun to hide mine forever! the new keys messed with the programming somehow and there ya go. I post this so hopefully some of you won't go through all the frustration I did for the past 3 days checking every option I could.

Oh yeah, if for some reason your tow/haul option isn't working, if you take apart the steering column cover, just above the ignition key you will find an orange wire that leads to the gear selector bar, and if the wire happens to be broken in half, that's the problem. It is located so that it can be stretched when turning the wheel and pull it far enough so it snaps. My work here is done, good luck to anybody with the same problems.

sniper7 March 2nd, 2012 10:28 PM

when you say won't start because of this issue:

will the engine even try to turn over?

I am having start issues but mine turns over, just isn't firing.

browndogwilson March 3rd, 2012 8:58 AM

Originally Posted by sniper7 (Post 208622)
when you say won't start because of this issue:

will the engine even try to turn over?

I am having start issues but mine turns over, just isn't firing.

Mine would do nothing except light up the dash, but when he tried jumping the starter it would try and turn but security was still shutting off the fuel system.

knucklebust March 16th, 2012 5:28 PM

suggestion: wait 10 minutes, try again.

browndogwilson March 17th, 2012 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by browndogwilson (Post 208644)
Mine would do nothing except light up the dash, but when he tried jumping the starter it would try and turn but security was still shutting off the fuel system.

That is exactly what happened to mine. Somehow my buddy installed a regular old button that is wired to the starter and now I turn the key like normal, release it, and push the button and the truck fires up every time. He found a way to override the security system for 10 bucks in parts. Otherwise it's off to Chevy and they will screw you our of a few hundred.

Doug Roberts March 23rd, 2012 10:22 PM

u, no this will work yes but not a fix i have learned the key has no code the tumbler has no code but will make a charge of some kind replace first 14$ auto store then if you have problem its your starting wiring harness 300+ dealer rockauto has for 168$ or a junk yard and you will have to re train truck if anything swithced i was told i had a few car with push to start

tell me if switch/code is bad wire will not disable that just the time to hook it up will idk ??? i tell you what i just got this truck and next time it happens will jump starter and report back but not sure it will do anything then the real fix
its a gm failed thing
fyi a real fix cheaper then wire harnes is a aftermarket alarm

pelletman October 27th, 2012 5:05 PM

I have no power at my small wire on the solenoid when I turn the key, I am using an aftermarket key, could this be the problem? What do I need to replace? Thanks!

01'burb November 6th, 2012 9:25 PM

I've had this with 92-95 LeSabres, Boonevilles, etc. Those have a little orage wire for security but the keys have 15 (or so ) differnet resistor values. I measured resistance in my key and then got the correct value at the local electronics store.. cut the little orange wires down under the dash and soldiered in the resistor to permanently "satisfy" the security. You can also do this to use a cheap dummy key. (THey used to cut non-resistored keys to make sure the cut was good and then cut the correct resistor key as the resistor keys are spendy in comparison.)