Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 2:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Smoke on start up...

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2012, 11:18 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I get the same thing....

did you ever get it fixed? I have 2004 Z71 5.3L and im starting to get the blue smoke on startup. Also, about the pcv valve , i was told they have a permanent one , that u dont replace it...

or is this what i need to do?

Chevy 5.3lit Intake R&R HD - YouTube
Old March 25th, 2012, 8:16 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, I can confirm that the 04 z71's have a fixed orifice PCV valve. It can't just be replaced. Seafoam seems to solve the problem for me, at least mostly. It still smokes on startup occasionally, but not nearly as often after the seafoam treatment.

Buy a can of seafoam and pour half in your oil and the other half in your gas. You might have to repeat this once or twice more afterwards, but it seemed to make a big difference for me. I think it helps to clear up the fixed PCV valve. Hope this helps, good luck!
Old July 26th, 2015, 5:34 AM
CF Beginner

Default smoke

I also had the smoke on start up. and going through about 1 quart of oil every two weeks. so this is what i did to fix the problem i replaced the pcv valve. the pcv valve is built in to the valve cover and when it get plugged it needs to be replaced. the new valve cove is about 104 plus tax at the part store. i hope this helps some one
Old March 8th, 2017, 5:59 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same happen to me

Originally Posted by Soules75
Hey everyone,

I have a 2004 Silverado 5.3L that is smoking pretty bad on start up after it has been sitting overnight or after work. About a month or so ago I had the water pump replaced because I was losing coolant, but that didn't solve the smoke on start up. To me the smoke looks kind of bluish, so I am thinking I maybe have leaking valve stem seals? Here is a video I took today of the smoke...

smoke on startup.mp4 - YouTube

Does it look like blue smoke to you guys? If so, do you think it's the valve stem seals? It only smokes for a few seconds like in the video, then it stops and is fine for the rest of the day. Truck is closing in on 99,000 miles.

Hi, you were able to fix this issue? Im having the same thing on my truck
Old March 9th, 2017, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Daniel Garcia
Hi, you were able to fix this issue? Im having the same thing on my truck
All I did was put sea foam in it and eventually the problem just went away. Been issue free since. Wish I could be more helpful - good luck to you!
Old March 10th, 2017, 12:21 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by remylb
I also had the smoke on start up. and going through about 1 quart of oil every two weeks. so this is what i did to fix the problem i replaced the pcv valve. the pcv valve is built in to the valve cover and when it get plugged it needs to be replaced. the new valve cove is about 104 plus tax at the part store. i hope this helps some one
I did the same with my 05 Silverado. Changed the valve cover and haven't had a problem since!
Old February 13th, 2018, 1:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation pcv

I have an 06 Yukon With a 5.3l in it. Its smokes quite a bit on the start up. I want to start small and work my way to the problem. So oreilly's says the pcv valve is in the valve cover and isn't serviceable without replacing the valve cover ($110) just wondering what you guys think?
The following users liked this post:
Fredp45069 (April 24th, 2021)
Old April 24th, 2021, 2:43 PM
CF Beginner

Default Repl valve cover per GM Serv Bulletin

Originally Posted by Kennycox
I have an 06 Yukon With a 5.3l in it. Its smokes quite a bit on the start up. I want to start small and work my way to the problem. So oreilly's says the pcv valve is in the valve cover and isn't serviceable without replacing the valve cover ($110) just wondering what you guys think?
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...62524-7690.pdf