Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Speakers don't work when it rains, amp or Ant. wire?

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2006, 5:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speakers don't work when it rains, amp or Ant. wire?

I have a 99 Silverado and when it rains or when I take it through the car wash the speakers stop working. When they stop working and I'm in the truck to hear them stop working they fizzle or crackle out kinda like bad reception on a radio. In other words it does't just shut off. The display on the radio works fine, it shows the radio station correctly, it switches to CD and Tape correctly and it shuffles through tracks as well. When the sound does comeback and I'm in the truck it usually fades in just like they fizzled or crackled out. When I start up the truck and everything has already dried the sound is blasting.

Obviously the water is causing a short but where it is I do not know. The rubber boots in the door jams are still intact and are protecting the wires fine. I don't know where the amp is so it's possible it could be the amp but that would mean I have a leak somewhere. The other possibility is the ANT wire or the ANT itself.

Has anyone ever had this happen or have an idea of what it could be?

Thanks,
Mike
Old December 30th, 2006, 10:21 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Speakers don't work when it rains, amp or Ant. wire?

does it stillhave a stock radio? only think i can think of is to unplug the anntenna from the back of theradio and see what that does, if it still plays CD's. if so..then you have a porblem with your antenna.other that the antenna the wire nothing should be in contact with water. does your truck have onstar? check that on the top of the truck and see if it is crack or getting watter into it. maybe try just sprying half your truck down with warer and do a process of elimination type deal..not sure other than that. -Jeremy
Old December 30th, 2006, 12:41 PM
CF Pro Member

ORIGINAL: 48fan

I have a 99 Silverado and when it rains or when I take it through the car wash the speakers stop working. When they stop working and I'm in the truck to hear them stop working they fizzle or crackle out kinda like bad reception on a radio. In other words it does't just shut off. The display on the radio works fine, it shows the radio station correctly, it switches to CD and Tape correctly and it shuffles through tracks as well. When the sound does comeback and I'm in the truck it usually fades in just like they fizzled or crackled out. When I start up the truck and everything has already dried the sound is blasting.

Obviously the water is causing a short but where it is I do not know. The rubber boots in the door jams are still intact and are protecting the wires fine. I don't know where the amp is so it's possible it could be the amp but that would mean I have a leak somewhere. The other possibility is the ANT wire or the ANT itself.

Has anyone ever had this happen or have an idea of what it could be?

Thanks,
Mike
If you are getting this condition while you're using the CD I doubt it's the antenna. If you don't have any premiun sound system and just the basic stock system I don't believe there is any seperate amp. Water may be getting in from the windows and dripping inside the doors onto the speaker terminalsand causing your problems.
Old January 1st, 2007, 5:57 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem except the water is not a factor. Fuses are good,I know the speakers work cause i get that same fuzzy static coming through. They just randomly cut out one day; so i'm at a loss. Got any advice? - Jason
Old January 7th, 2007, 6:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the responses.

A few days ago I was driving (it had rained and stopped) and when I drove over some railroad tracks my radio came back on. That got me thinking, and so after racking my brain a bit I went outside and slammed my passenger side door a couple times and the radio came back on. I believe the railroad tracks and the slamming of the door got the water off of the problem area inside my passenger side door. When I have time I will pull off the door and find the problem.

Thanks again.

Old January 16th, 2007, 5:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Last week it rained and the same problem, my speakers stopped working. So I pulled of the door panel to my passenger side door and taped up the terminals and the butt connections. It took the usual couple of hors till the sound came back but that only lasted a day.

It was a dry evening and I hoped into my truck and off I went with no sound. It had only been about 2 to 3 hours since I last drove it with sound. Its now been 5 days and still the sound hasn't come back.

I may have missed the problem area but I taped up everything so water couldn't get it. Now they've stopped working all together. Hmmm...
Old January 16th, 2007, 6:56 PM
CF Pro Member

ORIGINAL: 48fan

Last week it rained and the same problem, my speakers stopped working. So I pulled of the door panel to my passenger side door and taped up the terminals and the butt connections. It took the usual couple of hors till the sound came back but that only lasted a day.

It was a dry evening and I hoped into my truck and off I went with no sound. It had only been about 2 to 3 hours since I last drove it with sound. Its now been 5 days and still the sound hasn't come back.

I may have missed the problem area but I taped up everything so water couldn't get it. Now they've stopped working all together. Hmmm...
Did you pull the connectors off and look to see if they're corroded ?
Old January 17th, 2007, 12:03 AM
CF Junior Member

There were minute traces of rust on the speaker terminals but not enough to cause the whole system to shut down.

I did pull the radio out and unplugged then plugged in the output harness and the speakers started to work again. Then I got in my truck and started down the road and right as I reached the end of the block the speakers stopped working again. I got to my destination, unplugged the output harness and plugged it back in and it worked again. The speakers worked all the way home (20 min. drive); so I'm thinking the problem is in the harness. Perhaps the terminals in the harness are loose or corroded.

But I don't think this solves the rain issue. It doesn't seem possible that moisture was reaching the back of the radio. And it made sense that the problem would be in the passenger door since slamming the door a few times got the speakers working (slamming the driver side door didn't work).
Old January 18th, 2007, 11:08 AM
CF Junior Member

I have been driving around for the past few days with my dash disassembled and my radio easily accessible in case the speakers stop working. On a number of occasions they have stopped working and I have pulled over and unplugged the harness with the power wire and plugged it back in and the speakers work every time.
Old January 19th, 2007, 8:41 AM
CF Junior Member

I fixed it...it was a shorted out speaker on my passeger side.Water must have dripped onto it and shorted it out; it had rust on it (I swear I chacked that speaker for rust though when I taped up the terminals). Oh well, problem solved.

Quick Reply: Speakers don't work when it rains, amp or Ant. wire?