Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 2:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

spray on bedliner vs roll on bedliner

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2010, 9:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This new bed liner takes the cake!

There is a new bed liner out for all the full size Chevrolet, Ford and Dodge. It is the Dual Liner bedliner system, there website is www.dualliner.com. I know trucks I have been a certified mechanic for over twenty years and have been looking for a better way to protect my truck. I use and abuse my truck daily, i have set trannys and even complete drive trains in my box. The best part about the dual liner is that it keeps the cargo in place it will not slip and slide all around scratching the hell out of my truck. When doing research on the dual liner I was leery of the plastic side walls because I have had a drop in before that completely ruined my truck box because dirt and water got trapped underneath and the drop ins are a universal fit so they fit really loosely. The dual liner is a exact fit so there is no room for it to slide or vibrate back and forth. Also they use the factory drain holes to keep water from getting trapped. I could not be happier with this bed liner and would recommend it to everyone. I found this company about 2 years ago and I just purchased my third dual liner, I fix up old trucks and sell them as a hobby. Which really helps me get more Money out of them, it is a great sales feature. Check them out before you get a spray on (that will fade and you can not take out), or a plactic drop in that will damage your truck more than it will protect it.
Old August 31st, 2010, 11:37 AM
CF Active Member

Default Spray in liners

I have a Rino spray in & when it starts to fade I scrub it with simple green & it looks like new again. I know some spray in liners brag about not fading (Line X) but mine was cheeper than theirs & I like the scrubbing it's good exercise!
Old August 31st, 2010, 11:50 AM
CF Active Member

I bought the Herculiner material from a local parts store and sprayed it on my bed (can be applied either roll on or spray on). So far no problems. No real heavy stuff in bed yet, but will post if it becomes a problem. Figured, if it did scratch, I could just spray that section to repair it. Two gallons of the stuff (three coats were applied about 1-3 hours apart) was applied initially. Appears pretty durable.

-DON'T LET SOMEONE TELL YOU RUBBERIZED UNDERCOATING IS THE SAME THING-

That happened to me and I fell for it. I had to use aircraft stripper to strip the whole bed down to the metal. WHAT A MESS!!! Trust me there IS NO other way to efficiently take that stuff off, I tried everything else first. Make sure you use bedliner material if you do it yourself.

Hope this helps

Eric
Old August 31st, 2010, 1:07 PM
CF Beginner

Default Nice site for info on New styles of bed liners

This is a cool site to check out lots of post about bed liners and other new products as well www.bedlinerforum.dualliner.com
Old September 1st, 2010, 4:22 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by truckdoc
This is a cool site to check out lots of post about bed liners and other new products as well www.bedlinerforum.dualliner.com
Wow, a plastic bedliner with a rubber mat. Why doesn't everyone want one?
Old September 5th, 2010, 1:35 AM
CF Active Member

Well, I used my sprayed on bed liner (Herculiner) from the local parts store. Mind you, I installed it exactly to the instructions specifications. These store bought products are really for light duty ONLY. I loaded my bed with rail road ties (those real large pieces of wood between the tracks). The bed liner held up ok, but it did gouge a few places down to the metal. I will have to go back and apply a touch up coat to those small areas.

My next truck will have a more quality named liner sprayed on.
Old May 15th, 2011, 10:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default spray in bed liner

i have got a line-x bed liner in my truck and love it i want to do a strip down the side of my truck from the bottom of the bottom about 10 inches up has anyone of done it with a do it yourself roll on and how did it work?
Old March 14th, 2012, 9:10 PM
CF Beginner

www.manyadeal.com is a cool site to check out lots of post about bed liners and other new products as well .
Old March 15th, 2012, 10:23 AM
CF Beginner

I installed a BEDRUG bed liner and I'm pleased with both the appearance and durability of this product. The polypropylene fabric is virtually indestructible and easy to clean.

Old October 5th, 2018, 6:35 AM
CF Beginner

The spray on Bedliners like Line-X and RhinoLiner are the best, but expensive and not really a DIY liner. However, if you have the cab off and can get it done, it will be money well worth it.

The roll on liners work pretty well as long as the prep work is done correctly according the specs, but I'd paint it first with a good rust preventative paint like POR-15 or the like. Really, that's about all you need, but putting the liner on would just add to the protection. Having paint under it will prevent rust if the liner chips off.

I had mine sandlbasted underneath and then Rhinolined and I do love the results. I'm just counting on the liner not to chip off and trap moisture.

I will say though, I've used Chassis Saver paint https://4wdlife.com/best-chassis-frame-paint#5 and painted it right over rust and as long as the rust isn't flaking and is "clean", I've had great results and I've just brushed it on. While sandblasted metal is best for prepping, I've had the paint stick to rust better than scuffed bare metal. It's like the paint wants rust to attach too. Take that for what's it worth, but I figured it's much better than regular paint.