Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Starting Problems and Remote working intermittently

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Problems and Remote working intermittently

I have two issues: First, for a while my 2001 2500HD 6.0 has had difficulty starting, My mechanic checked the fuel pressure and it is holding the pressure, but sometimes it takes up to 10 seconds to start. Just recently it will "cough" and then go to idle. He mentioned the plugs and I have taken notes as to what else to check if the plugs are good (please add to list): FPR, Ignition Switch, Crank Sensor, Cam Shaft Position Sensor, Alternator, Starter, Fuel Pump...

Second problem has to do with the Keyless Entry Remote. I will reset it holding down the buttons for 10 seconds. It will then work, then not work, work, then not work for a while, then work again, etc. I had the Dealership check the FOB's and they were OK, they also checked the "Master System" (?) and that was working fine as well. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help and input.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Starting Problems and Remote working intermittently

Welcome to the forum!!! Someone here should be able to help, just hang in there.
Old April 25th, 2008, 1:52 AM
CF Junior Member

sometimes just because you have pressure to the rails, doesent mean that your fuel pump is working to specs. on my dodge i was having problems with it starting, would take at least 5 sec on warm days, and my local dealer said that i was still getting pressure to the rails. i found a used fuel pump at a local dealer for 35 bucks and i pulled the bed and put it in, and it starts right up now. for a truck to take that long to start, you are deffinately having some sort of fuel problem, whether it be a filter or the pump itself.

does it run fine once the pickup has started, because if it does, it sounds like a pump or filter problem to me
Old April 25th, 2008, 6:48 AM
CF Beginner

It does run fine after it is started. My mechanic has run into the issue before and says he believe the fuel pump is slowly dying. He is also going to pull the filter to see if that may be clogged. It is going in Sunday night for an evaluation on Monday. I will let you know how it worked out.