Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Stereo Dash Cover Removal

Old February 8th, 2008, 7:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Dash Cover Removal

Hello All,

I am a newbie to this forum. I just purchased a used 2003 2500 Silverado and have a question I hope someone can help me with. I think I have a loose connection on the aftermarket stereo. My AM/FM/XM do not pick up the reception like they should it has alot of static in it. This morning coming to work I hit a bump in the road and the reception got better for a few minutes. I think the antennea connection in the back of the radio is coming loose. OK now the question, how do I remove the dash panel in front of the radio so I can get the radio out of the dash. Am help would be greatly appreciated.

THX,
CB
Old February 8th, 2008, 8:07 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Stereo Dash Cover Removal

i believe your 03 will be the same dash as my 06. all you do is start to the right of the radio and pop the dash off (just pull lightly) then turn your key on and set your steering wheel to the lowest position it will adjust to. then carefully continue to pull the dash off. should be around 6-10 little "nipples" that will pop off. then there should be 3 7mm screws to unscrew the radio to remove it from its holder. dont pull to hard becasue the antenna wire is very short. then just reverse the procedure to put it back. however, be careful when putting the dash back it is tedious.

i had the single disc player so the bose 6 disc might be different.
Old February 8th, 2008, 9:19 AM
CF Senior Member

PM me if messing with the connection on the anntena doesnt work, Ill help you trouble shoot it.
Old February 8th, 2008, 10:10 AM
CF Beginner

Will do, Thank You.
Old February 9th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

also put your shifter to the lowest setting possible.
Some antenna wires are longer in some vehicles for some reason. If it is very short and is a pain the remove\install, just pull more wire from behind the dash. you don't have to pull very hard to get some extra wire though.
Old February 10th, 2008, 12:41 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah be careful putting the dash back it has a habit of getting stuck on your shifter boot and will actually slice into it if you dont realize it is caught and you continue to try and push it into place
Old March 5th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Fud
CF Beginner

Great timing. I am at the same point in removing my AM/FM 6CD changer in my '03 Suburban. Dash is off, screws removed from head unit andthe stereowill pull out about an inch or two before meeting resistance. I presume the cables on the back are restricting it. Are they really this short? Or, do they need to be guided out somehow? Any advice is welcome and appreciated!

Fud
Old March 6th, 2008, 3:07 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

pull......usually the antenna wire gets stuck a bit behind the dash....i always pull the radio to get some more wire, or if that doesn't work, reach your hand up and d\c the wire. then when radio is out, pull the antenna from behind the dash so installation is easier.