Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Straight pipe questions...

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2014, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Straight pipe questions...

Hey guys, I have a question regarding straight pipes and glass packs.
Im wanting to put a straight pipe on my truck and my friend told me that they have to be welded on and there is no other way to do it. cant I clamp it on or bolt it? ive seen videos where the persons muffler is bolted on and another where the muffler is clamped on. why cant I do the same for a straight pipe? I don't know how to weld nor do I want to pay someone to weld it. Im kind of looking into putting a glass pack on incase the straight pipe doesn't work out and I have basically the same questions-how do I put it on without welding.
any complete videos that show how to install a straight pipe without welding?

thanks.
Old February 4th, 2014, 5:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a few things to consider when doing exhaust work to any vehicle. My first suggestion would be to go on youtube.com and listen to what both ways sound like and pick one or the other, changing your mind once you've done one or the other isn't always easy. You're right, welding isn't the only option. If you decide to go with the straight pipe, use a piece that is the same size as the pipe you cut out. In this situation, use what I would call a band clamp, it wont crush or crimp the pipe when it is tightened which makes it fairly easy to remove if you ever wanted to. If you prefer the glasspack, they sell them in many sizes so you will be able to find one that will slide over the existing pipe, connecting the two cut pieces you are left with after you cut the muffler off. In this case you will have to use a regular exhaust clamp, sometimes referred to as a u-clamp. Also make sure the glasspack you buy is long enough to connect both pieces, it will have to be a few inches longer than the muffler you removed. That covers most of what you should need for your project. If there is anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

Best of luck.
Old February 4th, 2014, 9:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks man that does help a lot! and I like the straight pipe sound a lot more than the glass pack. one more question though... for the straight pipe- will any pipe (if it fits) work? like can I go to a hardware store and get a metal pipe and put it on?
Old February 5th, 2014, 7:35 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah almost anything should work for what you wanna do. I know if you have a fleet farm, advanced auto, or o'riellys near by they sell small pieces of pipe that work perfect for what you want to do.