Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

stuck at a fork in the road..body lift or susp?

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2009, 5:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stuck at a fork in the road..body lift or susp?

i like the look of a body lift and 315 70 17s, but i'm thinking i might regret not going with a full on 6" suspension lift... Either way I'm keeping the stock rims, id have to use spacers on the suspension lift though. help me please, any opinions on the subject? Also any brand recomendations?

2005 silverado z71 crew cab

thanks guys/gals
Old July 9th, 2009, 7:21 AM
CF Junior Member

I would go with the both body and suspension lift if your can afford it. I'm lifted 6 inches (3in body 3in susp) and I have 33 inch tires on it. Its not too big and its not too small....just right.

Name:  100_1534.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  104.1 KB

Name:  4815_94765944265_626549265_1892387_.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  63.9 KB
Old July 9th, 2009, 6:50 PM
CF Beginner

If you have the money go with just the suspension lift. The body lift looks cheap and tacky, and if you want to add other accessories to your truck (air intake, brush guards, step bars, etc..) they might not fit properly. Spending the money on the suspension lift will not only beef up the suspension but will give you a better ride off road
Old July 9th, 2009, 7:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed go with suspension lift not a fan of body lifts!
Old July 9th, 2009, 7:24 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

body lifts make that much more of the frame show and it looks silly, although they are cheaper they just don't quite cut it for me, i think i would take a sawz all to they fender first
Old July 9th, 2009, 8:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or you could go Bushwacker cutout fender flares!
Old July 9th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Ride of the Month
August 2009

Always always always!!!! Go with suspension lift over body lift.

Deez
Old July 10th, 2009, 8:21 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeeZ
Always always always!!!! Go with suspension lift over body lift.

Deez
I agree, I hate body lifts unless you are adding at least 6" of suspension.
Old July 10th, 2009, 2:15 PM
CF Active Member

A lot of guys are giving you a straight answer, which is good, but they're not really telling you why.

A body lift will not give you any more offroad ability, other than possibly clearing larger tires, and are mainly for looks. The general consensus is that they're cheap and silly looking, as many of the guys have mentioned.

A suspension lift is certainly more expensive, but it's the way to go. It will give you a noticeable difference in offroad drivability, and the same tire clearance ability.

Suspension lifts and body lifts; there really is no contest between them. Suspension is the way to go if you can afford it. As for good companies, check out Skyjacker, Rancho, Readylift, etc. My recommendation would by Skyjacker.

Add-a-leaf/Spacer
Spacer <- Recommended
Old July 10th, 2009, 2:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by lukemoore646
body lifts make that much more of the frame show and it looks silly, although they are cheaper they just don't quite cut it for me, i think i would take a sawz all to they fender first
I like the look of a body lift. But as its been said before, suspension is the way to go. If you're going for looks and off road ability, I would go with both like I said before.

I'm lifted 6 inches between suspension and body with 33 inch tires...I have plenty of clearance to go just about anywhere I would want and I still have room for larger tires.

Like its been said, a suspension lift is going to be a lot more expensive then a body lift. If you're going to be doing it yourself, why not spend a little extra cash and get the lift blocks for the body along with your suspension lift....The blocks aren't expensive at all.

Quick Reply: stuck at a fork in the road..body lift or susp?