Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sunshade Install

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2011, 8:28 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunshade Install

I recently bought a 2007 Silverado LTZ that is equipped with a factory sunroof. When I bought the truck I knew that the sunroof sunshade was not installed so I made a deal with the dealer to purchase me one and they told me I would have to install or I could pay GM to do it for me. Does anybody know how to install the sunshades in the sunroofs? It is a factory sunshade they ordered me and it solid made of headliner material. Thanks for the help.
Old August 11th, 2011, 9:41 AM
CF Junior Member

I tried installing this myself because I thought it would be pretty simple since the headliner lines up in the tracks...that is not the issue...the issue is that the shade wont go back because there is a little black piece right in the center that looks like it holds up the headliner and the overhead light..any ideas? it looks like it could be modified some way to make the shade slide all the way back. thanks.
Old August 15th, 2011, 11:08 AM
CF Junior Member

i figured out the problem..the dealer sent me a sunroof shade that is for the 2008 models...its solid and made of the upholstery but it wont fit the 2007 because it looks like it had the mesh roll up screen style but someone has removed it..does anybody know how to do the mods to make the newer solid style shade work on the 2007?
Old August 17th, 2011, 11:31 AM
CF Junior Member

if anyone has the mesh style screen that rolls up and wants to replace it with the full upholstery shade style, i dont suggest doing it. it takes a lot of time and work. not to mention that the factory shade costs $170 bucks from gmpartsgiant. the steps i took are below. what a pain in the butt, but at least the sun is blocked now and it looks just like it rolled out of the factory.

1. Remove sunroof glass. 3 screws on each side.
2. Trim little black piece that sunroof glass rests in on end toward bed of truck. This allows room for the new full sunroof shade to slide in and out. There will also be a little black piece that supports the trim that you will have to cut with a utility knife, it actually connects to the frame of the truck.
3. Take a long screwdriver and push back on left and right side underneath where shade will slide and push out 2 little blacks pieces, this allows the shade to go all the way back without being blocked by those 2 pieces.
4. The full shade is 31" long, you will have to actually trim the new shade to be 30" long. Trim 1/2" on each side of the shade so the handle to open and close will line up in the center of your current sunroof.
5. Put everything back together. That is about it.

Tools Required: Utility Knife, Scissors, Tape Measure, Long Screwdriver, Plyers, Level, Jigsaw to cut sunshade with.

Time for complete installation: 2 Hours