Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Synthetic oil for a Duramax????

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2007, 2:00 AM
art
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic oil for a Duramax????

I have a Duramax with the Allison and the book says to use 15-40 oil rated for a diesel. I noticed Rotella has a 5-40 synthetic oil rated for diesels and was wondering if this would be OK for my Duramax? The label on the oil bottle said it's good for Duramax, Powerstroke, Cummins and others. Does anybody know how using this oil might affect the warranty? Is this a good oil to use in the Duramax? What's the best oil filter to use?
Thanks in advance for your help........
Old January 27th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Banned

Default RE: Synthetic oil for a Duramax????

Using the brand that you want to wont't affect the warranty unless it didn't have the correct rating code which basically all modern oils do. besides what are they going to do, send it out for analysis?
Old February 2nd, 2007, 11:46 PM
art
CF Junior Member

If somebody had a better answer than the one above I would appreciate it. What I'm wanting to know, will the the 5-40 Synthetic oil damage the Duramax and if not, is it worth the extra money?
Old February 3rd, 2007, 12:11 AM
Banned

buddy.. does the 5- 40 carry the proper rating???
Old February 3rd, 2007, 12:40 AM
art
CF Junior Member

I'm not your buddy dumb ***, I don't need your sarcastic answers. Go pester somebody else........
Old February 3rd, 2007, 12:56 AM
Banned

If I were you I would run about a quart of bleach in the crankcase.On the freeway of course, while cold.
Old February 11th, 2007, 7:52 PM
CF Beginner

Art,

If your looking for a good quality synthetic oil. Why not check out amsoil.com. You can use their 15w40 Heavy Duty Diesel oil which will allow you to drive 25,000 miles without changing the oil and the filter will last the same duration.

Their have been customers who have driven up to 80,000 miles before changing the oil using oil analysis. If you would like more information regarding this fine product, you can email me at osh599@yahoo.com.

I have several satisfied customers including a fire department that has been using Amsoil for over a year with outstanding results. This fire department also put Amsoil's synthetic transmission fluid in their Impala's to which is good for 60,000 miles under severe conditions.

This oil will increase your gas mileage and also save you time by not having to change it every 3000 miles. Did you know that most other synthetic oils still recommend the 3000 mile interval? Sad but true.

Jim Shultz
Independant Amsoil Dealer
ZO#: 2001353
Old February 11th, 2007, 10:52 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/Se...?CategoryID=18

We're all hungry here and good for the self promotion, but sometimes it's still cheaper to get it from the source. NO OFFENSE!

By the way, we stopped carrying Amsoil at our shop because their "extended" drain intervals don't match up with the factory recomendations. If your vehicle is under warrenty and you go over the recomended drain interval and you have issues, the dealer won't honor the warrenty. We haven't had a problem, so we don't know if Amsoil will cover the repairs either. They DO have good products and I strongly recomend using it in your desiel.
Old September 29th, 2020, 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

Please tell me which oil for duramax is better to choose if the car is already 2008?
Old September 30th, 2020, 7:53 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Kirito
Please tell me which oil for duramax is better to choose if the car is already 2008?
In fact, if the car is already with high mileage, it is necessary to think over to pick up the best option just for oil. I already know by myself that approximately need and can choose here. For example, I now take Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty Engine Oil, but here you can already see for yourself, there are several options that you can consider, or rather read about the recommended oil for duramax, oil for duramax lml here the best quality, already look purely on the basis of local characteristics and their own preferences, there are described the pros and cons of this or that oil. I'll take the one that I pointed out stably, because if you can take a special look at it =).

Last edited by Stiller; September 30th, 2020 at 6:20 PM.