Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Tailgate will not close

Old December 14th, 2011, 5:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate will not close

The tailgate on my 2007 Silverado will not stay closed....I've had problems over the summer when hitting bumps the tailgate would open up...now it doesn't stay closed at all, I can just keep slamming it and it won't close at all. To keep it closed I have a strap around the tailgate and have that secured in the bed of the truck...any ideas how to fix it? Has anyone else had this problem?
Old December 14th, 2011, 8:48 PM
CF Active Member

I started having this problem this last weekend. Scared crap out of me at 5:30am when I was leaving to go deer hunting. I will look at it this week and report back.
Old December 15th, 2011, 8:05 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 07Silveradooo & tsduke
There are several possibilities. It may be a tailgate latch; it could also be a broken spring. These are only possibilities. I would suggest taking it in for an inspection. They should be able to offer a more accurate diagnosis and resolution.

Best of luck!

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 15th, 2011, 8:56 AM
Senior Site Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What it seems that happens is even when the tailgate shut on my truck it would just slightly stay in the up postition so I would have to push it down manually. I would suggest spraying the mechanism with wd40. you can carefully remove the surrounding plastic from the tailgate handle and see how rusty it is. i had this problem and when i finally got it shut one winter it would not open causing me to break the handle of my 05 off completely. So I had to replace the entire handle mechanism but my problems were fixed
Old December 15th, 2011, 7:30 PM
CF Beginner

i have the same problem with mine i spray lube on the latches n srings behind the handle helps it but its still does not latch the way it should ..